ATC SM75-150S Dome Mid Measurement Data

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ShinOBIWAN, Sep 25, 2006.

1. ShinOBIWAN

Stereo Mic

This is exactly the problem that I and others have experienced I believe - that everything is there, it just doesn't sound totally natural and convincing like it can through some better solutions. Whatever is played sounds like it is music being played back through ATC monitors. Without trying to appear elitist, it seems to be the people who have experienced some of the better alternatives that hear this limitation, not those who have jumped up to them from some venerable domestic alternative from yesteryear.

Stereo Mic, Nov 27, 2007
  2. ShinOBIWAN

titian

That is true, that is the first question everybody should ask himself. I'm trying to get rid of "getting used to the sound of my system". That's why I increased my concerts frequency (now over 60 / year) and decided to go to all the rehearsals I can. Some weeks I'm from monday to friday in the concert hall. I believe going to rehearsals is even much better than concerts when it comes to getting aware of the sound.
    Of course most of the time I though hear my system but I try to be aware about the differences between my system and what I hear in the concert hall. When I listen to other systems I try my best to forget about my system. How much I really can do that, I can't tell you.

titian, Nov 27, 2007
  3. ShinOBIWAN

titian

I have nothing against what you say and about what people prefer. All this is not about condemming a system or a component or about how people listen to music.
    First of all we don't even know what made it sound so. Maybe it had nothing to do with the system itself: ok very probably it wasn't the sourses since both sounded in the same way.

But anyway I can understand that people like that sound and that's very good so.

titian, Nov 27, 2007
  4. ShinOBIWAN

titian

Of course every room has a different impact on the sound of a system. What we hear is the combination of the both. I'll hear the 150 and 100 in another room and see how its like.
    Anyway I'm not comparing other systems with mine.

A purpose of a hi-fi system depends on the owner. There are lots of variations. Personally I don't know how someone can pretend to know, how what's recorded should sound like.
    :rolleyes:

titian, Nov 27, 2007
  5. ShinOBIWAN

anon_bb Honey Badger

Agreed.

Its hard to ignore the common factors presented by the proponents.

anon_bb, Nov 27, 2007
  6. ShinOBIWAN

anon_bb Honey Badger

ATC is a useful tool - it sounds like a tool - its not really for listening pleasure, at least to me.

anon_bb, Nov 27, 2007
  7. ShinOBIWAN

The Devil IHTFP

Well, I disagree with your opinion about ATC monitors. I think they do sound completely natural, and the speakers have no discernible sound of their own. The speakers they sound most similar to, in my experience, are the Quad ESLs. So where do we go from here?

The Devil, Nov 27, 2007
  8. ShinOBIWAN

The Devil IHTFP

I don't need to pretend, as I have been present at a live recording in my room, which was subsequently played back from the mixing desk on my ATCs.

The Devil, Nov 27, 2007
  9. ShinOBIWAN

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Surely they have a little more extension than Quads!
    I didn't take you for an old fogey Bub.

Purite Audio, Nov 27, 2007
  10. ShinOBIWAN

The Devil IHTFP

Of course they have more bass extension. The alleged "problem" is the midrange, and I think the ATC midrange is every bit as good as the Quads'.

The Devil, Nov 27, 2007
  11. ShinOBIWAN

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Surely ATC's extend a bit more at the top too, and hopefully they don't distort like Quads as soon as you turn them up, also the mid range of the Quads isn't that fantastic, perhaps it was ok in the 50's when everyone was eating powdered eggs.

Purite Audio, Nov 27, 2007
  12. ShinOBIWAN

The Devil IHTFP

Come on, that is crazy talk. Have you heard the 989s?

The Devil, Nov 27, 2007
  13. ShinOBIWAN

covkxw

Oh, I do so wish I could add something to this bit about Quad ESL's and ATC's, but unfortunately my room shape/size never alowed me to get my 63's to work as I new they could (based on sound heard in other locations). Nevertheless, ATC's definitely compete in being exceptionally low distortion devices and I find them absolutely thrilling on (natural) voice and piano (two very hard to reproduce sounds IMO).

covkxw, Nov 27, 2007
  14. ShinOBIWAN

anon_bb Honey Badger

Compared with briks? You dont have much to base your opinions on that is the problem bub. As the whole lp12 sme thing should evidence.

ATCs certainly dont match the quads in the mid - play some violin music to truly appreciate the difference.

anon_bb, Nov 27, 2007
  15. ShinOBIWAN

titian

Ah so you have been recording orchestral music. Great!

titian, Nov 27, 2007
  16. ShinOBIWAN

The Devil IHTFP

Acoustic guitars, percussion, & vocals. I'll take a wild guess that that doesn't count. Probably a schoolboy error.

The Devil, Nov 27, 2007
  17. ShinOBIWAN

murray johnson

Is this some sort of 'happy clappy' house church Bub?

murray johnson, Nov 27, 2007
  18. ShinOBIWAN

The Devil IHTFP

I am very religious murray. This is no joking matter.

The Devil, Nov 27, 2007
  19. ShinOBIWAN

shrink

oh my god.. is this thread still going... how on earth can you debate drivers for 24 pages. I think some of you need to get out a little bit more :)

I love hifi as much as the next guy, but really, theres got to be a point where its just not worth arguing it any more.

Why not stop debating the finer points of driver design, and just go put some music on and enjoy it. Isnt that supposed to be the point of all this?

shrink, Nov 27, 2007
  20. ShinOBIWAN

The Devil IHTFP

How can you "get out more", and at the same time "put some music on and enjoy it"? It's one or the other, shurely?

The Devil, Nov 27, 2007
Ask a Question