Attack of the Spiders (from Mars?)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by auric, Dec 24, 2004.

1. auric

auric FOSS

Just after 2:00am this morning I glimpsed (via who's online) the Google Spider viewing a members profile, now I' did not think a member's profile could be viewed without first signing on to a valid account. I know that spiders may from time to time crawl about the forum casting their web far and wide and catching intresting bits of information for various index but somehow I thought that the user profiles would be out of bounds to them.

I'm not too sure how I feel about this, I wonder if I should in a couple of weeks apply to Google.co.uk using the FOIA and see what they know about me?

Should user profiles be visible to all visitors without first signing on?
    How do others feel?

auric, Dec 24, 2004
  2. auric

michaelab desafinado

Any Guest user (so that includes the Google Spider) can view a user's public profile. That only has what you decide to put it it. It certainly doesn't have your e-mail address, your real name (unless that's the same as your username) or anything else. Click on someone elses username here and you'll see their public profile. There's really nothing in there I would worry about and it's totally anonymous anyway.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 24, 2004
  3. auric

auric FOSS

Must be suffering from mince pie induced paranoia.

auric, Dec 24, 2004
  4. auric

michaelab desafinado

What have you been putting in your mince pies? :D

michaelab, Dec 24, 2004
Ask a Question