Audicom Super Clock 3 Vs Trichord Clock 4 ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by STELLABAGPUSS, Dec 13, 2004.

1. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Hi All,
    Can you recommend which item would be better for Re Clocking my Pioneer DV 575a ?
    Or are they basically the same thing, I am looking to use the Pioneer as a Transport only to run into my DAC.24/96 superdac M Audio.
    Feel Free To Give me some wisdom.

Thanxs

STELLABAGPUSS, Dec 13, 2004
  2. STELLABAGPUSS

michaelab desafinado

I'd go with the Trichord Clock 4. That's what I have in my Teac T1 transport :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 13, 2004
  3. STELLABAGPUSS

The Moog

I'd be interested to know if there are any real differences between these type of products, and how much of a difference they make to the sound... I did read somewhere that by improving the quality of the power supply you can achieve all of the improvements of an upgraded clock, but I don't know enough about it to know if this is true or not.

I was thinking of squeezing one into my X-Ray after my current fit of DIY is over, and I have replaced all the caps in my amps with Black Gates, and also possibly my Denon 2900, which has a little more room inside for such tweakery!

The Moog, Dec 13, 2004
  4. STELLABAGPUSS

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Ouch... replacing all of the caps in my amp with black gates would cost in the region of £950...

I wonder what one of our forum members might have to say as he was involved in the design of the Trichord Clock 1 and the Audiocom Superclock 1.

For those that don't know, and in order to continue my growing reputation :)D :p), Clock modules provide a high-accuracy (ie low jitter) clock. This is done twofold; once by using a higher accuracy, more temperature stable oscillator and twice by providing this oscillator with a clean, low-noise, regulated power supply. Some modules (LCaudio's for example) then take this a stage further by using high-speed logic gates to square off the oscillator output, and to provide output buffering with true TTL drive.

I know of no tests that compare the various modules, but there are offerings from Trichord, Audiocon, and LCaudio, as well as some DIY versions (see DIYaudio.com).

I-S, Dec 13, 2004
  5. STELLABAGPUSS

michaelab desafinado

I don't know how much difference they make, particularly in the case of my Teac since I had all the mods done before I even got it home so never heard the unmodded version. My Clock4 is powered by the Trichord "Never Connected" PSU aswell.

In any case, the difference this kind of mod makes is very hard to tell unless it's massive since you can't to any quick comparisons unless you happen to have available an unmodded version of the same bit of kid.

I'm just happy to know I have a "bloody good transport" :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 13, 2004
  6. STELLABAGPUSS

Class A

I would go for the Thrichord clock 4 and the NC power supply for the clock ( always a weak point )and also look at improving the analogue output stage.
    cheers

Class A, Dec 13, 2004
  7. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

There Was A Big Improvement

HI All,
    And thanks for trying to answer my Question, although I'm getting the feeling that both products will do the same. "michaelab" also asked if they make a difference. Well If you asked me back when the Trichord clock 1, was out. The answer was a hugh Yes, I remember and still have one fitted to my Old Phillips CD 950 Player, at the time I was using a Audio Alchemy DAC in the BOX, when the player came back I was amazed by the timing and Dynamics.
    But I believe things have changed, as a lot of Manufactures did sit up and took notice. Back in the Days when HI-FI Choice would give you loads of techincal spec with a review,SONY & Marantz improved there clocks.
    So I would imagine, the improvement from re-clocking isn't as hugh as it was back in the 90's, of course it all depends on your player.
    My Pioneer DV 575 A isn't up to much, and yet my Old Toshiba 210E DVD Player has a really low jitter output.And the Sound Quality although a little Harsh, is streets ahead.
    I am going to get a quote off Trichord, I know there is a bloke on ebay fitting the superclock 3 for about £200, so as long as the price isn't silly from Trichord we will go with them. Also I seem to recall reading a review about the superclock 1,in which the reviewer removed it, as he felt it made his player less Dynamic, (Back To Theory that his player may have had a good clock to start with!)

Again Thanks All, And I will Put up a Review once fitted.

STELLABAGPUSS, Dec 14, 2004
Ask a Question