Audio Synthesis DAX-Discrete - how does it compare to other top dogs ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Elberoth, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Elberoth

Elberoth

I was wondering, how does the latest DAX-Discrete compare to dCS Elgar Plus/Verdi LaScala, EMM Labs CDSD/DCC2 and similar stuff ?

I have sold my AA Capitole 2 CDP and have the EMM combo at home right now on loan, but I'm still thinking about alternatives.

Anyone have had a first hand expirience and would like to share ?

Elberoth, Apr 11, 2006
  2. Elberoth

ditton happy old soul

ask GaryG about this

ditton, Apr 11, 2006
  3. Elberoth

Garmt

I think the DAX Discrete is pretty brilliant, best you just skip your pre-amp in the process. But why have you sold the AA? It's a great machine.

Garmt, Apr 11, 2006
  4. Elberoth

Elberoth

Yes, it is great FOR THE MONEY, but I have no doubt, that you can do better. I have had the new AA Capitole Reference at home last week (both standard and signature models) and they are already better, but I'm looking for something that represents current State of the Art in digital playback (Audio Note DAC5 Signature and MBL 1611/1621 are out of my price range, unfortunately).

Elberoth, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Elberoth

GaryG

The Discrete is a good DAC, however be sure it's a good match in your system before making a purchase. I bought the Black Gate version and swapped quite a few pieces of my kit trying to get the same presentation that I had with a Black Gate Decade, in the end I sold it and went back to a Decade. To my ears, on standard RBCD the Decade is the better of the two and in a comparison with an Elgar Plus (using a Verdi and Purcell) I preferred the Black Gate Decade, the Elgar Plus took the lead when using DSD. I also had a Wadia 27ix which I preferred over the dCS, very similar sound to the Decade.

I've now swapped to CD player so have a Black Gate Decade for sale if it's of interest.

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Apr 11, 2006
  6. Elberoth

ditton happy old soul

I've now upgraded my Dax Decade to the same spec as Gary's, balanced with Black Gates, and would strongly recommend it.

ditton, Apr 11, 2006
  7. Elberoth

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

current state of the art?

out of my budget and therefore regular exposure unfortunately.

According to WM his TEAC Esoteric is worth a shout. I'm sure it would be a good starting point to compare stuff to.

Titian tries a lot of the top stuff, maybe try sending him a PM if he doesn't see this?

Other people I'd probably ask would be John at Midland Audio Exchange (one of the few dealers in the country that really does have the best of everything at hand), and just for off the wall esoterica, I'd probably ask Thorsten too.

hmm. All I need to do now is win the lottery :D

bottleneck, Apr 11, 2006
  8. Elberoth

gregf

Although I haven't listen to the Discrete I have the Decade with the balanced outputs. I bought it second hand from David at AudioSynthesis, the service is superb and the sound is excellent. Of course it is not the latest technology (no upsampling, just 44.1 and 48KHz) but it sound much better than many far more expensive and modern DACs. I audition the Wadia 27, Mark Levinson, Chord, DCS and many others. At the end I prefered the sound of the Wadia and the Decade is very close to it (if you use the balanced outputs). At second hand prices is a bit of a bargain.

gregf, Apr 11, 2006
  9. Elberoth

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The X-01 is a substanical upgrade on the discrete, and the dcs stack too. PLus with the added bonus that it plays music (also does the hifi rather damn well too if you like that sort of thing ;-))
    The Mietner I find completely amusical (even though its raved about in the us), why not try the P03/D03 if you can strech or Msb Platinum III very under rated and seriously good.
    I feel maybe a Remiyo 777 is worth a punt too if you like the AA sound. or why not their super dooper top of the line AA Capitol Prestige
    There are upgrades planned for the Wadia 27ix & 25 (using the new techology found in the 581/781.).
    good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
    wadia-miester, Apr 11, 2006
  10. Elberoth

anon_bb Honey Badger

What is the best dac only unit right now? Is the dax discrete 24/96?

I am considering replacing my PT de capo as its been away for repair well over 6 months and no sign of it coming back. How would the Esoteric and AS kit compare?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
    anon_bb, Apr 12, 2006
  11. Elberoth

julian2002 Muper Soderator

bbv,
    how long is a piece of string. there is no 'best' jsut what you prefer in your system in your room. i'd say that audio synthesis kit is a contender as are many of the others suggested however the only way you are going to find what you want is to have a listen to them - preferably in your own system.
    not very helpful i know but when you are considering blowing that much money on something it's always a good idea to make your own mind up.

julian2002, Apr 12, 2006
  12. Elberoth

anon_bb Honey Badger

Indeed - I just want to put together a short list to listen to initially.

anon_bb, Apr 12, 2006
  13. Elberoth

i'd certainly look at
    audio sysnthesis,
    levinson,
    wadia,
    esoteric,
    reimyo,
    weiss,
    accuphase,
    msb (platinum),
    dcs,
    spectral,
    theta,
    cello,
    mcintosh,
    and probably many more....

julian2002, Apr 12, 2006
  14. Elberoth

anon_bb Honey Badger

Thanks for the list!

I've heard levinson - their top converter got trounced by a ten year old avi in a dem! I have heard wadia in a B&W classe system - hard to say much about them in that context as I hated the speakers. I have heard dcs at a show and it sounded quite good but again the system was unfamiliar. I obviously need to try these two on home dem to make a definitive assessment.

anon_bb, Apr 12, 2006
  15. Elberoth

Elberoth

I have just learned that EMM is replacing the DCC2 with DCC2 Signature model. I will have to listen to that combo again then when my dealer gets one.

What I have heard from EMM labs combo was very promissing, although I could wish for better bass and PRAT. The inbuild pre is SERIOUSLY good.

Next week I hope to try the Audio Aero SACD Prestige Siganture.

BTW - Reimyo CDP777 got discontinued earlier this year (sadly, there will be no more laser mechanisms from JVC).

Elberoth, Apr 16, 2006
  16. Elberoth

are they still doing the dac (the k2 processing was the interesting bit really).

julian2002, Apr 16, 2006
  17. Elberoth

Stereo Mic

Elberoth,

The current range of Esoteric Multi Format players are the only digital playback units I would currently consider changing to.

Having said that, I suspect they might prove to be a slap in the face after the AA, but each time I personally hear them, I hear something that is fundementally right.

If you enjoyed the warmth of the AA, you might also want to try a Burmester 001, particularly if you need the inbuilt pre.

Stereo Mic, Apr 16, 2006
Ask a Question