AV: DVD-Player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by titian, Jul 19, 2003.

1. titian

titian

Just wanted to know if there are any DVD players which have seperate outputs to peamplifiers for each channel.

titian, Jul 19, 2003
  2. titian

Onno

Look for DVD players with an internal surround processor. They should have 6 cinch outputs for 5.1 surround. I'm sure they exist. I just don't know wich ones. If I remember correctly an NAD DVD player had this.

edit: after checking their website I think I'm wrong about the NAD though. However I think this Marantz DV8300 has such a feature. this foto of the back of the unit shows at the right 4 cinch connectors for sub, center and rear channels. Left of that there are twin outputs for each front channel.

I'm sure your hifi dealer will be glad to tell you more or inform you of the alternatives...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2003
    Onno, Jul 19, 2003
  3. titian

titian

Well no dealer in Switzerland who I contacted could name me one. :(
    It seems they sell only their stuff and are not interested in any thing else.

I would like one which does have seperate outputs for preamps.

titian, Jul 19, 2003
  4. titian

Robbo

Titian,

Does your CD player have digital inputs? If so you could connect the coaxial digital output from the DVD player into your CD player. I do this and it works very well.

Robbo

Robbo, Jul 19, 2003
  5. titian

Onno

It seems that this marantz has these outputs. according to the marantz website these guys (click) are the distributers of Marantz in Switzerland. Perhaps you could contact them. I'm sure there are alternatives though. surf the net and look for internal Surround decoders, as I said earlier.

Onno, Jul 19, 2003
  6. titian

Onno

then you'd only get 2 channels. I believe the question was analog outputs for all 6 channels CMIIW.

Onno, Jul 19, 2003
  7. titian

Robbo

Yes I know.

I wasnt sure where Titian wanted to use it in his main 2 channel system or whether he has a second AV system. I'd wager a digital feed into his 2 channel system would sound a hell of a lot better than a lot of AV systems even if it is only 2 channel:MILD:

Robbo

Robbo, Jul 19, 2003
  8. titian

titian

I am actually thinking of using my music room also for a video room. I would buy a good projector (beam) and use my actual system for the two front speakers (I would leave the front mid sub away since I suppose to have already two not bad ones). Of course I realize that the accentuated feeling from one to to the other front channel won't be so accentuated in absence of the central centre channel. In any way the quality of the sound will be defenitely better than any AV-system. For the two rear channels I would use my old Klyne preamplifier,which I am not using since 3 years, and my actual 2 pairs of satellites (I order two new pairs). Maybe only one pair is enough for the rear channels.

It's only an idea which I had two years ago and now it is becoming more "feasable". Actually I don't have time to watch films and the TVs don't have yet 5.1.
    I suppose it is maybe one of my stupid ideas, but it is lasting since 2 years now. :confused:

titian, Jul 19, 2003
  9. titian

julian2002 Muper Soderator

titian,
    probably the best solution would be to get a dvd-a player these HAVE to have internal decoding and 5.1 preouts as there is no real standard for hi bitrate / sample rate digital transfer.
    the real answer is to get a good dvd player and a reasonable av amp from the likes of marantz or sony. most av amps have pre-outs which you can then connect to a spare input on your pre also you then have reasonably consistent amp types on the center and rears.
    cheapest way to do this would probably be in the order of about 300 quid from a discount retailer like ritcher sounds the most expensive would be the skys the limit although if you're going to spring for a decent projector system i'd think the new progressive scan arcam dvd and arcam processor / 5 channel amp would be worth a look. also tag, naim, lexicon etc. do very well respected processors too. alternatively you could go the early adopter multiformat route and get the pioneer av i-link player and amp so you can spin any silver disk you like or perhaps give linns new silver disk engine player a punt at 6k!
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 19, 2003
  10. titian

Hex Spurt

titian, It is possible to buy a DVD player with pre-outs. I have two myself - a Toshiba SD9000 and a Panasonic 310. Each has built-in Dolby Digital decoding but they don't decode DTS.

Some of the more recent players will decode both DD and DTS. Do a Google search for players where the specification includes "built in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders" I found the Pioneer DVD656 & 656A, and a Sony DVP-NS930 without any trouble at all.

Good luck.

Hex Spurt, Jul 19, 2003
  11. titian

Rory satisfied

if you're desperate, Eltax do a dvd player for £80 at www.bennettsonline.co.uk with 5.1 decoder outputs. As someone said, DVD-A, SACD players SHOULD have 5.1 decoders although for some bizarre reason the £110 Panasonic DVDS35 DVD-A player doesn't have a 5.1 output:confused:
    Check out
    Pioneer DV626, 636, 646, 656
    Sony DVPNS705,905,700,900 etc
    All these have the 5.1 decoder outputs.

Rory, Jul 19, 2003
  12. titian

adam

Im not sure if i get the question,but the loewe Xemix 5106 and thier "auro",have onboard decorders,and 5.1 outputs on the back.hope this helps?

adam, Jul 19, 2003
  13. titian

Robbo

Titian,

If you are not too bothered about surround sound effects, as a first step it may be worth trying to route the sound through the main system in 2 channel like I do, it could be enough for you.

I find that as my system images well, there is absolutely no need for a centre channel and I get a pretty big soundstage so I really do not miss the surround effects. I also find that my 2 channel sound is far more detailed and more expressive than most other AV systems I have heard. All in all a very involving movie sound.

This must be due to the fact that all the dvd is is only basically acting as a transport leaving the hifi to deal with the rest of the sound. IMO It makes sense to put all of the expensive DACs/amplification/speakers to good use!

Robbo

Robbo, Jul 19, 2003
  14. titian

HenryT

Phantom centre channel

Just thought I'd pose a question here, the answer which might also help Titian narrow down his search:

Do *all* DVD players with built-in digital surround decoders (and discrete analog outputs) have speaker management settings accessible either through physical DIP switches or on-screen menus??

It strikes me with a proposed system of 2 front channel speakers and rears i.e. no centre, that a "phantom centre" mode is required so that the output that would have gone to the front centre channel can instead be re-directed appropriately to the 2 main front channels instead. This is equally an important issue for music DVDs as well as movies.

HenryT, Jul 22, 2003
  15. titian

michaelab desafinado

Henry - I believe the answer to your question is "Yes". I would be very surprised if they didn't because apart from saying whether you have a particular speaker or not, you also need to do the large/small etc. configuration.

Most DVD players with discrete multi-channel analog outputs are the universal players eg Marantz DV8300 (and 8400).

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 22, 2003
  16. titian

Matt F

Bold words indeed – you must have one hell of a stereo system to make such a claim!

Anyway, all you should need is a DVD player with onboard DD/DTS decoding – this will give 6 phono outs that you can use to go into a pre amplifier. You should find that pretty much all such DVD players allow you to set speaker sizes and, crucially, allow you to specify whether a centre speaker and a sub are present or not. Set centre to “no†and the centre info will be sent to the front left/right speakers – set sub to “no†and the LFE channel will be redirected to the fronts too. It may be worth setting the rears to “small†unless they are capable of handling deep bass. With no sub selected, the fronts should only be able to be set to “largeâ€Â.

The problem I can foresee is balancing the levels between the front and rear speakers. If you are using two separate stereo pre amps then you will need to balance the volume between the front and rears separately – then, if you need to change the overall volume, you will need to readjust both pre amps. It's feasible and you might be able to assist yourself by marking the pre-amps accordingly but it might be easier to use a budget AV amp as a bolt-on to your existing stereo set up.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 23, 2003
  17. titian

michaelab desafinado

Matt - I think that "one hell of a stereo system" would be an understatement in relation to Titian's system :eek:

You might want to check out the Three Lunatics in the Asylum thread for more info... :MILD:

I feel that he'll be setting his front speakers to "large" :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 23, 2003
  18. titian

Matt F

Okay - I've checked - he does have ONE HELL OF A STEREO SYSTEM - blo*dy hell!

Nice to see a sub/sat set up being used for stereo duties though ;)

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 23, 2003
Ask a Question