AV unit

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by rockhopper, Sep 19, 2005.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

ok guys, i'm thinking of building a custom AV unit. Something similar to the Ikea Oppli, but I want each compartment made for each individual component in my system. I have looked at many TV stands, racks etc, but my system is too big and awkward for any of them really. The main reason is that my centre speaker has to fit into the unit.

Anyway, I need to know the most suitable type of wood for the job. I was thinking MDF, but its gonna need to be thick stuff. Are there any other materials out there which would be more suitable for hifi kit? As long as its solid and will take plenty of weight, thats all I need really.

Also, my plan is to cover it with leather - Want it looking nice in my front room. Can any of you recommend anywhere cheap to buy good quality materials like this?

Also, feel free to give any advice/tips for the job

Thanks!

rockhopper, Sep 19, 2005
  2. rockhopper

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I wouldn't compromise the centre channel by putting it on a heavy resonant structure like it sounds like you'll end up with, especially if its near a hollow boxy TV or anything. Only you know your precise circumstances but that has been my experience with three centre speakers.

SteveC, Oct 4, 2005
  3. rockhopper

Stereo Mic

If you must put your centre inside a cabinet, you will minimalise the damage by packing it in a seperate enclosure tightly packed with acoustic wadding.

When that's done, the sound quality is perfectly acceptable IME.

Stereo Mic, Oct 4, 2005
Ask a Question