Bach's Art of Fugue

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Yes, a highly dramatic and individual view on the music, very recommendable.

My only objection is the fact, that Guillot has chosen to record the early draft-like manuscript version (adding the unfinished Cpt 14 at the end for some unknown reason). I think, he might have been able to put even more drama into the music, if he had chosen the later printed version, which contains a more obvious growing tension throughout as well as being musically more interesting and satisfying.

pe-zulu, Jun 1, 2007
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

But the AoF theme itself could be better. Goldberg variations had a good theme to start with. And Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc. came up with much better riffs to build their stuff on.

Could someone (RdS?) start a separate about 5-CD-only desert island thread?

bat, Jun 5, 2007
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Actually the theme is ideally suited to serve its purpose. Furthermore: the important matter in this work is not the theme as such, but the evolutions of the theme and its countersubjects, .

pe-zulu, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Yes, I wrote something very much like this the day before yesterday but then my Net connection hanged.

The theme is axed in d f a, pivotal notes in d. But I must say I like it as it is: it is reminiscent of earlier music.

Please bear in mind, Bat - but you know that - that the theme of the Goldbergs is not variated: the ground (the bass structure) is. The ground itself hardly qualifies as a theme: just a basso continuo in g, really - I would not be tempted to sing it.

This does not happen with the theme of the AoF, which has to be sung. Therefore, it has to be beautiful. I have always been haunted by it, but then I am an addict.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 8, 2007
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

I agree with you that I would prefer the later version. But I think the player recorded the last fugue just because it is extremely beautiful. But yes, I agree, it does not make sense.

I must confess that this contradiction did not shock me, because I was relieved to find the last fugue and never thought twice about the incongruence, but you are right.

6. Rodrigo de Sá

P.S.: Oh, I quite forgot. Bat, you start the thread. I could never decide on what to take with me, but I would be interested in comments about other people's opinions.

My list would include the AoF, and some home cooked CDs, whith extracts from many records... 16th-17th century plus some fugues from Bach (I would drop some preludes for reasons of space), and - lo and behold - the 3rd movement from Beethoven's Hammerklavier (Brendel, 1st Philips rendering).

In fact: do start the thread, I will answer it by mentioning some of the cooked CDs (if ever I get the hang of making selections: I can only do it in the iPod).

7. Rodrigo de Sá

JANDL100

Oops - sorry. I got lost in a Wigwam ....

I bought the Guillot on your recommendation and, musically untutored as I am, I couldn't get into it at all. I found it austere and inpenetrable. I sold it on. (It's OK - I was kidding about invoicing you if I didn't like it.)

I stick with my preferences as listed earlier in this thread, now updated slightly -

Viz:
    I have 8 versions of AoF on CD. I'll not bother going into a blow by blow account of each's merits, just give a score out of 10 for my personal rating.

ASMF Marriner (orch) - 8
    Leonhardt (harpsichord) - 9
    Goebl (orchestra) - 4
    Paulo Borciani et al (SQ) - 9
    Laurialia (pno) - 7
    Canadian Brass (brass ens) - 10
    Breuer (for 4 quartets) - 4
    Ens Cuivres Pascal Vigneron (organ & orch) - 5

It's Canadian Brass for my Desert Island !! (Sorry.)

JANDL100, Jun 16, 2007
  8. Rodrigo de Sá

Well, I'm glad you managed to sell it... Different tastes. I fully understand that Guillot can be felt as hard and difficult. But then, perhaps the music is hard itself...

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 16, 2007
  9. Rodrigo de Sá

Polarity

Guillot is great

I got the recording by Guillot, and am listening to it right now. It is great. This guy is truly obsessed with the music - it is beyond beautiful, he draws me into the music, it is a world on its own, nothing else matters. The sound quality is also excellent - and all this for 9$...
    Thanks for the recommendation, Bruno

Polarity, Jan 16, 2008
  10. Rodrigo de Sá

I'm glad you liked it, even if perhaps you got my name wrong? Or is there a Bruno here?

I absolutely concur with what you said. The music is "lived" rather than played.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 22, 2008
  11. Rodrigo de Sá

Polarity

yes, I am Bruno;-)

nt

Polarity, Jan 22, 2008
  12. Rodrigo de Sá

Oh... :shame: How do you do? :)

Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 22, 2008
  13. Rodrigo de Sá

Rds,pe-zulu and other gurus. May I ask your opinion on why the AoF is unfinished, or is it really unfinished.

bat, Jul 12, 2008
  14. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Nobody knows.

It has been suggested, that Bach deliberately left Contrapunctus XIV unfinished, in order to challenge others to finish it. Not very likely in my opinion.

It has also been suggested, that there was a manuscript version of Contrapunctus XIV which actually was finished, but the last page was lost (after Bachs death I suppose, but before the printing plates were engraved) and so the last page could not figure in the printed version. Maybe, maybe not.

Of course Bach had some ideas about, how he would finish Contrapunctus XIV, before he began the notation of it, but if it is true, that he intended to make it a quadruple fugue using the three themes from the surviving Cpt XIV and the main theme of AoF, he might perhaps not have worked the conclusion out in every detail, maybe he only had worked out the thematic parts and not the interludes, and only in his head.

I am rather sceptical as to this idea about Cpt XIV intended as a quadruple Fugue. I think the main theme of AoF sounds lame, when it is combined with the first theme of Cpt XIV. And nobody knows, if Bach had planned more Contrapuncti. His name in notes occurs explicitely as early as in Contrapunctus VIII, so his name in notes did not necessary mean, that the work approached its conclusion.

So there are lots of loose ends, and it is sad but also intriguing, that this the greatest work of music in the entire western civilisation should be left incomplete.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
    pe-zulu, Jul 12, 2008
  15. Rodrigo de Sá

I think I know why it is unfinished.

bat, Jul 15, 2008
  16. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Mind telling us?

pe-zulu, Jul 16, 2008
  17. Rodrigo de Sá

It's a long story. I'll tell you soon more.

bat, Jul 17, 2008
  18. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Now you probably want me to say, that I can not wait to hear. But fact is, that I think you do not know at all.

pe-zulu, Jul 18, 2008
  19. Rodrigo de Sá

On the contrary, you are REALLY interested. Otherwise you would not bother to post.

How about this: I soon post here a link (if admin allows) to my web pages where I tell you all the awesome truth. If someone finds my views interesting, there will be a donate button and I do hope someone donates because the research was quite demanding.

bat, Jul 19, 2008
  20. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

OK, your turn.

BTW what is "connoisseur par excelence"?
    do you happen to mean "connaisseur par excellence"?

pe-zulu, Jul 19, 2008
Ask a Question