BASIE pre-amp construction

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by bottleneck, Oct 3, 2003.

1. bottleneck

GAZZ

bottleneck, Why don't you go to a college course to learn how to solder. I think they are pay as you go about £3-4 per session.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Oct 29, 2003
  2. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Gazz!

Got my pre back from the menders, and it still doesnt work!! PAH!!

Going to try mender number 2 a week on sunday. This ones more local so I can take it back easier if any probs...

NB I think my soldering problem was mainly down to the 'continuous cast copper cable' that Consonance supply as an option..... If anyones thinking of one of these pre's my advice is to avoid this cable option like the plague!!!!! Its covered in an enamel that you have to burn off first, and even then getting a good join is the devils own job..

Ive given up on it for now, and am going to let another proffessional have a go..... I think if I was starting over, Id have ordered it ready-assembled!!... but I got it cheap so ce la vie.

Chris

bottleneck, Oct 31, 2003
  3. bottleneck

Robbo

Sorry to hear of your problems. I hope you didnt pay the guy if he couldnt make it work. For all you know, he could have made it worse:(

Robbo, Oct 31, 2003
  4. bottleneck

No , I did - he made it work better than it did before. And he's a great old bloke, Ive used him for years... he's honest and Im sure he got it as good as he could (and he only charges £15 an hour!!)

He offered to take it back in too, but I just dont want to drive all the way to Sunbury, when theres someone in my own town who can do it for just a little more money..

Im sure it'll be worth the wait, and I guess thats all that matters :)

Chris

NB Robbo - how you getting on with the AR amp? still loving it?
    Have you tried its phono stage too?

bottleneck, Oct 31, 2003
  5. bottleneck

Robbo

Chris,

I am getting along with the AR just fine. Is is a superb amp and in combination with the Proacs it is knockout. It doesnt have a phono stage btw.

When you are over my way you should come over for a listen. Or maybe its time for another valve bake off:)

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Oct 31, 2003
  6. bottleneck

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

That could be an idea Neil. I can bring along my integrated for a comparison.

[​IMG]

LiloLee, Oct 31, 2003
  7. bottleneck

Robbo

Sounds good to me. Whos up for it?

How are you getting on with the amp Lee? I am not familiar with the brand.

Robbo, Oct 31, 2003
  8. bottleneck

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

To sound like WM 'Once a few tweaks are done it'll have more thwack and be more organic' (whatever that all means :D )

It's a 2 x EL34 push pull amp giving about 40 watts. Be an interesting comparison to yours. The AR should be (and better be) better but I'm hoping for some good things from this eventually.

LiloLee, Oct 31, 2003
  9. bottleneck

penance Arrogant Cock

i have a cornet valve phono stage, could bring it along :)

penance, Nov 1, 2003
  10. bottleneck

The Basie is complete. I thought I'd write a few more points for anyone considering a DIY valve pre such as this.

1) an ''upgrade option'' is the continuous cast copper wire''.
    A more useless pathetic material for wiring a pre-amp has yet to be invented. Wiring your amp with filagree silver would be easier!! . It gives dry joints and is pap. If you're building a basie spend a bit more and get the silver wire, but dont get the CCC wire.

2) Valves. If I were doing it again Id still get the cheapy valves with it - just for testings sake. Dont want to test a new amp with nice valves going pop!!. Im currently using it with a Mullard GZ32, and 3 x philips 5814A/E83CC. This is making a very nice open clean sound. Several people advised me to replace the E83CCs with E80CCs. This nearly caused my amp to go POP. I wouldnt reccomend that advice to anyone. Stick with the intended valves in my view.

Sound quality - well, its open, full and detailed. Probably all the pre I'll ever need.. although I might get the bug and change some of the caps in later months/years..

The amp has lots of gain too - more than many valve pre's Ive heard.

Hum - there is a little background humming. Its only slight, but its definately there. Apparently this slight hum is known for the pre. Im not getting my knickers twisted about it though!

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 19, 2003
Ask a Question