Been playing with valve amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dev, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

A quick update on the Rogue. Basically, it's lost in transit ARGHHHHHHH. Nick's going to put in an insurance claim. So, that's off the list. WAD 6550 goes back over the W/E. BOO HOO HOO :cry:

Dev, Jun 30, 2005
  2. Dev

jonjin

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh! Some clever postman's got it!!!

Oh... and anyone try Manley amps, eg the Integrated Stingray?

JJ

jonjin, Jun 30, 2005
  3. Dev

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

If you want to get a flavour of 300B push pull, I know Nicks got some others in...

like..

ICON AUDIO MB25 with few months use 300b pp, mint boxed 1100

I've always had a soft spot for audio innovations stuff, its just so cheap (and it looks and sounds great). Dean could tell you more than me about AI stuff though.

Saw this one at hifitradingstation for £518 (not bad price)

[​IMG]

Its EL34, 25w p/ch. Can be nicely modded with a Border Patrol power supply.

Moving up to circa £1500-£2000, 2 amps that caught my eye at Walrus:

Korato KVP-10 PH 2-box phono preamp xd GBP 895.00 price lowered
    Korato Renaissance monoblock tube power amps (45w/ch) xd GBP 995.00

and

EAR V20 tube integrated amp / Border Patrol modified sh GBP 1795.00

I was thinking seriously about buying the Korato stuff myself. Its really nice stuff.

The EAR (I've heard from a friend, no direct experience) is a mellow performer, but perhaps the BP power supply gives it a kick in the ass!

TBH I've not seen more for a grand than those already mentioned, unless of course you look at importing from Audiogon (like I did!)

Maybe some others might see some second hand bargains for you.

Lee mentioned once (ages ago) that he was thinking about selling his quad II's. If he's still up for that, its definately worth a look. If you like Ians Leak, theres loads of them at the emporium for not a lot of money...

Just some more thoughts..

bottleneck, Jun 30, 2005
  4. Dev

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Dev

Dev Moderator

:D

Dev, Jun 30, 2005
  6. Dev

joel Shaman of Signals

Krell.

joel, Jul 2, 2005
  7. Dev

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Joel, I have to say that a big Class A amp would be nice. Maybe the 100w Sugden Masterclass for instance. And like valves no need for any central heating.

LiloLee, Jul 2, 2005
  8. Dev

Dev Moderator

Right guys,

I was lucky enough to be in Zurich on Wednesday evening and heard Titian's system and I think I should just forget all about this upgrade nonsense.:).

Titian's system left quite an impression and after listening to it with a variety of music (but mostly classical), I cannot think how it can be improved upon. I personally don't have the patience that Titian has for trying small changes and judging their affect. I'd rather just take his system and listen to music.

Initially there was a very eerie feeling when Titian put the first CD on. I hadn't heard such clarity, soundstage or such control over speakers before. The eerie feeling was due to the bass notes starting and ending quickly without any overhang and quietness of the room, even the very low bass notes. All the bass traps and other panels work but I just could not spend time trying the best location for these devices. The end result is undoubtedly excellent, but it's too much like hard work and I feel I would be listening too hard for imperfections in the system rather than just enjoying it.

After a while we just settled down and listened to the music and it was fantastic. The system is fast, more than loud enough with massive reserves of power. It relaxes and impresses over an extended listening and never sounded bright or tiring, just natural and full of life. I felt I could listen to it for hours on end. What more can a guy want from a system? Titian wants to try and improve it further and good luck to him. I personally think he reached the point of dimishing returns several tens of thousand £/€ ago:).

So thanks Titian, for a very enjoyable evening.

Dev, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Dev

sideshowbob Trisha

Good, isn't it?

Anyone who thinks either: (a) hi-fi can never come close to sounding like the real thing; or (b) they themselves have a system close to perfection; or (c) UK hi-fi brands are the best in the world, should go and hear Titian's setup :)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 8, 2005
  10. Dev

titian

Hi dev,
    thanks for taking your time to visit me. I enjoyed your visit very much and I hope we'll meet at London when I come over.

Just a small but long remark:
    I'm not trying to improve it but just want to go through some points which I never looked into. I don't kow where they will bring my system to as long as they won't harm it. I already dedicated more time in the last month or two in listening to music instead of "analysing". The following points are still uncompleted:
    • after installing the 19 Omniffusors from Rpg Europe (in London) I will want to measure for the last time the music room. I aim a difference of maximum 6 db at the listening point (2.6 meters from the LS) throughout all frequencies. The last measurement gave a peak at 30hz, which I think I already got rid of.
    • Put in order my cables. None touches the other and so on..
    • Cables off the floor. I already done the installation but just have to test the results.
    • Change the plugs of the power amplifier cables. I plan to use the Furutech ones which I am already using for the rest of the system
    In 2 months all this should be over.
    My only concerns will be to maintain the components which don't have any more custom support. I am already organizing replacements (for example 2 spare tube amps)..

Ian,you forgot the most important point:
    ...; or (d) he should have a very nice relaxing weekend listening to great music in the mountains, ...

Titian

titian, Jul 8, 2005
  11. Dev

lordsummit moderate mod

You should set up a Bed and Breakfast Titian, you could have a stream of us coming to listen to your quest for audio nirvana. Just promise you wouldn't play any Yehudi Menuhin :D

lordsummit, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Dev

titian

My Wife's parents have opened a B&B just 15 meters away from my house. :D
    Those who come here can stay free of charge in my house. They will have to stand my 3 children though. :yikes:

I just heard yesterday Menuhin playing Elgar with Boult (1966). :D
    I will put all these LPs aside (next house) when you come. But I think I'm talking about something very very ... very hypothetical. :rolleyes:
    :D

titian, Jul 9, 2005
  13. Dev

Dev Moderator

Lee came over with 2 pairs of valve monoblocks. Quad 2s and a DIY job. After listening to these, the Leak and my MF kit, the Leak still rules. I'll let Lee post the techie details, but I can't believe how comprehensibly all 3 valve amps thrashed the MF:(.

Dev, Jul 9, 2005
  14. Dev

bottleneck, Jul 9, 2005
  15. Dev

bottleneck, Jul 9, 2005
  16. Dev

Dev Moderator

Hi Chris, Dean sent me the link to the above Leak with BP PSU. Sounds interesting.

I'm still undecided because I've realised that whatever I go for will be better than my current setup :cry:, because after listening to the 3 valve amps, we went back to the MF and boy, what a letdown:(. It still sounded OK but we felt that something had been taken out of the system.

I really like the Leak but also like the idea of building something, so after trying a couple more amps, I'll decide. What I have decided though is that I hate Ian :grrr:. It's all his fault. He told me that my speakers are ideal for a valve amp and lent me his ST20 to prove it. How can something this old and low-powered sound so good?

Dev, Jul 9, 2005
  17. Dev

Dev Moderator

Dev, Jul 9, 2005
  18. Dev

hehe.

This is just the beginning. Theres modifications (resistors,caps, all sorts), tube rolling etc! Plenty of opportunity for tweaking.

You could always build a pre if you have the DIY bug.

You can build the transformer based passed pasive that Michaelab has, or the DIYhifisupply equivelant, or there are loads of active ones too.

Lots of fun :)

bottleneck, Jul 9, 2005
  19. Dev

I always thought it was a 20 watter as per the name... and the Leak Stereo 60 was.. well 60w.

Could be cobblers, dont know for sure Dev. Im sure someone will know the definate answer.

bottleneck, Jul 9, 2005
  20. Dev

hifienthusiast

hifienthusiast, Jul 9, 2005
Ask a Question