behringer deq/room equalisation

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DavidF, Jan 19, 2007.

1. DavidF

DavidF

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but...i'm trying to get my head around a Behringer deq 2496.

There is something of a gulf between my 20-25 year old "o" level physics and the deq manual (or shall we say the level of knowledge required).....!!

Can anyone give me some helpful links on acoustics?

I'm not very sure on what figures I should be inputting (eg decibels etc) with particular reference to room equalisation.

settings i'm not sure of are;

max
    peakh
    range

.....any help, very much appreciated!

David

DavidF, Jan 19, 2007
  2. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

Hi,

I don't think any of those controls are related to an understanding of acoustics, they are just settings on the DEQ. Max is, I think, the maximum amount of adjustment you want to DEQ to use when trying to correct for the room. 6-8dB is a good figure to try. Range is likely a range of frequencies you want it to try and correct. I would suggest from 20Hz-300Hz, higher than that and it seems to get things messed up. Peak I don't think is used in the room correction but it is the peak level of a signal, as opposed to RMS which is the root mean squared of the signal (a kind of average, since music is very dynamic).

I never found the 'max' setting worked very well in the auto room correction so it might be easier to leave that setting alone and after it is done, go in to the graphic EQ settings and wherever it has used EQ more than +8dB , dial it back down to a maximum of 8dB. You can usually get away with quite a lot of negative EQ though. Also, you might find it sounds better, even though it measures less accurately, that you only use negative EQ, not positive. So, where it has used positive EQ, dial it back to 0dB, leaving negative EQ as it is.

Hope that helps some.

Tenson, Jan 19, 2007
  3. DavidF

DavidF

it does...

thanks.

were getting down to it now...

how does this positive + negative eq work(that you mentioned)......is it related to each half of the sine (sp?) wave or something totally different?

cheers.

DavidF, Jan 19, 2007
  4. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

+EQ is gain, i.e. it makes it louder. -EQ is attenuation, i.e. it makes it quieter.

Tenson, Jan 19, 2007
  5. DavidF

DavidF

ok.......thanks.

DavidF, Jan 19, 2007
Ask a Question