Bel Canto DAC2

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by indolent, Nov 21, 2006.

1. indolent

indolent

I have a bel canto DAC 2 which I love the sound of but think it could get a little bit better.

I am considering the modification route with a new clock and other upgrades - changing cabling etc.

This is a first for me so any comments / suggestions welcome. (The transport is a marantz DV9500 at the moment).

indolent, Nov 21, 2006
  2. indolent

DavidF

You might like to talk to zanash...

DavidF, Nov 21, 2006
  3. indolent

zanash

I'd think you need a better transport ...though i don't know the dv9500....

All transports are not the same ....the bel canto in standard form can sound stunning.

Whats the rest of your system and cables ?

zanash, Nov 22, 2006
  4. indolent

indolent

The bel canto is fantastic and very musical. I think there is a little bit more in it which is why I am tempted. Plus I heard a friends Resolution Opus in the system and upgraditis hit :D

Well the rest is some very nice AuAg cables running from the DAC to the Bel canto Pre3 and then some equally stunning AuAgs from the Pre3 to a Bel Canto S300.

Then some of your silver Speaker cable to Gamut L3 standmounts.

All doing a sterling job.

It does sound stunning but I have upgraditis and as a temporary cure thought that the DAC / transport could take a little modification rather than rushing out and buying that gorgeous esoteric I keep dreaming of.

The Marantz is their top universal player from last year. Switches off the video circuits when music is playing etc but could also be a source of a few choice mods. Its just the marantz is easier to sell on than the DAC2 in the market place come upgrade time....

indolent, Nov 22, 2006
  5. indolent

felix part-time Horta

Does teh Belcanto Dac2 have an internal clock, or does it rely entirely on the transport?

I reclocked Mr Sukebe's Meridian 500 for transport duties ahead of his BC Dac2, and he seems happy enough with the result... so transport mods/or diff transports may be worth trying, too.

felix, Nov 22, 2006
  6. indolent

zanash

I was going to suggest the meridian .....I've heard Mr Sukebes and very good it sounds to.

zanash, Nov 22, 2006
  7. indolent

indolent

One of the US modification companies has a clock mod for the Bel Canto so I was assuming it had a clock.

Its probably a tight fit tho.

indolent, Nov 22, 2006
Ask a Question