BelCanto eVo

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lowrider, Feb 14, 2004.

1. lowrider

lowrider Live music is surround

As there is no importer in Portugal, I am negotiating the import of an eVo 6... :rolleyes:

I hope I wont be deceived by your opinions, you made me believe it will sound better than a Bryston ST... :p

If anyone has anything to say, say it now or be quiet forever... :JPS:

lowrider, Feb 14, 2004
  2. lowrider

michaelab desafinado

Hmm...I remember you said "I always audition everything" :D

The fact I couldn't reasonably audition an eVo 2i integrated immediately deleted it from my amp shortlist.

However, I don't think you'll be disappointed ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 14, 2004
  3. lowrider

merlin

OK Antonio,

As both the CC2 and Sonus Fabers excel with valves, the midrange of the Evo 6 should be a relevation compared to the matter of factness of the Bryston.

You will need to use it bridged, to me the unbridged BC's sound overly flacid (maybe it's my age!). For about $3400, with current exchange rates, it's a no brainer to me.

But hifi is a very personal thing. What may sound fabulous to others may not rock your world. So Caveat Emptor I believe!

merlin, Feb 14, 2004
  4. lowrider

adam

I don't know how it compares to a Bryston,but i would describe the sonic signature as very clean top end,adding great detail,a very slightly recessed midrange,with a lean and quick bass response,if your looking for warm and cuddly sound,forget it.

I would agree with Michaelab,in that your won't be dissapointed,use the USPS service,it is very good,on time and a reasonable price,I paid 130 €uro with no import taxes.

adam, Feb 14, 2004
  5. lowrider

Robbo

Lowrider,

It is a great amp, very detailed, superb PRaT, very dynamic, loads of detail. IME, they need to be run with clean mains otherwise they can sound a bit edgy, so a decent power cable (eg a eupen) is a must.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Feb 14, 2004
  6. lowrider

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Is our resident bel canto expert so busy before the bristol show as to not reply?

FWIW, I've heard the 200.4 (which is the same as the 4 except for the fascia) and it's awesome. How many channels are you going to be using the 6 to drive?

I-S, Feb 14, 2004
  7. lowrider

Robbo

I think Tony is burning the midnight oil getting everything ready.

Robbo, Feb 14, 2004
  8. lowrider

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Yeah, know how that is. Was in until 7pm on friday building a pair of speakers... Next week is going to be hard work.

I-S, Feb 14, 2004
  9. lowrider

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Merlin, has a good point here, the Belcanto's run best Balanced without question.
    This afternoon I had 4 hours in the company of of Bryston 9bst, the 600 watter I believe, while a top quality amp, I can see why the naimies like them, dry & matter of fact.
    They also as robbo says like very clean mains, and 'not subtle differenices' can be gained with matching of correct leads and conditioning, please do bear this in mind. Wm

wadia-miester, Feb 15, 2004
  10. lowrider

Michael,

I always bring gear home to try before I buy, but it is impossible with this kit, as there are no dealers in Portugal, even in Spain, and the temptation is overwhelming... :rolleyes:

I will be using it bridged for the front and center speakers, they "need" the extra power... :JPS:

As for PC, I am thinking to buy another VDH Mainsstream, it works ok with the player and the processor, I dont think there is much to gain testing more cables, particularly in the same price range... :latte:

lowrider, Feb 15, 2004
  11. lowrider

No import taxes, how did you manage that... :confused:

lowrider, Feb 15, 2004
  12. lowrider

michaelab desafinado

In Portugal it will probably be impossible because the customs here are total Nazis and will check every single package from outside the EU :inferno:

For "getting away with it" US Postal Service is better than UPS, DHL etc because the courier companies withold the package until all the taxes are paid where as with the postal service it might get through the net. That happens in the UK too. Get an item delivered by courier and you'll almost certainly have to pay the taxes.

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 15, 2004
  13. lowrider

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Spot on Mike, the vat & import and deducted at source (the bonded wharehouse) IE, YOU pay the COURIER, or no goods :(

wadia-miester, Feb 15, 2004
  14. lowrider

penance Arrogant Cock

Ive had 3 UPS parcels from the states in the last few months. Only got taxed on 1:)

penance, Feb 15, 2004
  15. lowrider

adam

I think michael has hit the nail on the head,by using the USPS, it comes straight through,that's my theory anyway,just to be double sure I asked the sender to send the goods as gifts,and as i bought the amps at christmas i aked them if they could write "Feliz Navidad" (happy christmas)on the side of the boxes,which they duly did,and i ended up not paying anything,for the 3 boxes I have had sent,but i would definatley look at using the USPS,it offers the best price,goods arrived in condition and on time.

adam, Feb 15, 2004
  16. lowrider

My wife sujested I have it sent as drawback, apparently you only pay the taxes later, if you dont return it, and I can ask the invoice for dealer price, or less... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Feb 15, 2004
  17. lowrider

Well, couldn't resist, it is ordered, without ever listening to one... :shame:

Wich means soon there will be either one Bel Canto evo 6 for sale, or, I hope, 1 Bryston 4B ST + 2 Powerpacs 120... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Feb 20, 2004
  18. lowrider

Robbo

Antonio,

I dont think you'll be disappointed!

Robbo, Feb 20, 2004
  19. lowrider

At least it is a lot lower than the Bryston 6B SST I had in mind, so no problems with the Ash design rack... :MILD:

lowrider, Feb 20, 2004
  20. lowrider

A1000

Inland revenue roaches

The postal service is entirely hit or miss. I have a friend who imports CD's. 1 in 4 gets caught by the UK postal service. They deliver you a card telling you the goods are available for collection from the depot. When you get there they charge you the tax AND you complete a form. Once noticed they are alot hotter at checking your address.

A1000, Feb 24, 2004
Ask a Question