Benchmark DAC1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ya-Boo, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Just I quick one for anybody in the market for a DAC

Add this to your list, well worth a demo and for the money good value even with the latest price increase

And you don't need exotic i/c cable........I tried 4 sets from £30>>
    £300 and to be honest,I'd not bet on which was which
    I,m no Techi but its something to do with internal topoligy:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2004
    Ya-Boo, Apr 10, 2004
  2. Ya-Boo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Worth a look, I've been tinkering with one since Nov, (took over from the s/dac), it's not bad, vol control as well, I paid $700 used they are $975 now, but multi voltage and use a Torriodial not swps, bit hifi, but good. takes on dac 64 easily, and for a further £300 can be made rather good too :) Not the best looker, but hey for the cash :)

Benchmark Dac 1

wadia-miester, Apr 10, 2004
  3. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Agreed,
    I have been using direct for the first time most of today,
    defo more detail & dynamics,but over long periods a little bright &
    hard for my taste.
    just ended with A Krauss union staion have to say merlin's tt & sim combi even at low level in his room on this album like chalk and cheese compared with my stuff

now with the ARC pre back in the loop,to my ear's this is far more enjoyable

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2004
    Ya-Boo, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Ya-Boo

Harbord

I have just completed a major upgrade by going to a Copland 501 with Paradigm Studio 20v3. My impression, after only a few days, is great detail and soundstage. If I could critic this combination, then I would say it sounds a bit bright. However I am told that the Paradigm's will take some breaking in.

The next item on my list is an external DAC. I have been thinking of the Apogee Mini DAC but maybe the Benchmark DAC1 is an option. Certainly has good writes up. I will have to try to get a demo.

Has anyone heard the Apogee Mini DAC and the Benchmark DAC1 ?

Harbord, May 30, 2004
  5. Ya-Boo

chiba

chiba, May 30, 2004
  6. Ya-Boo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Chiba,

The C/I gear is pretty fair also. Its small, neat and clean looking, I've owned the dac & psu for a while now, its a touch smoother than the M-audio super, and a more fuller/rounded sound, even handed too, a pleasant piece of equipment, the will enhance most cdp's/transports up to £1k. The Benmark dac `1 is a level or 2 higher than the C/I
    The Superdac (with psu) & C/I units are close in preformance, just one is smoother and more rounded, the other has more life and drive, but its close. Mr. O

wadia-miester, May 30, 2004
  7. Ya-Boo

yogus

wm

How close is the Benchmark DAC-1 in comparison to the DAC-64? Are they similar in presentation?

Seriously thinking of getting the former rather than the latter if its even remotely close, due to the 4x price difference.

And they're quite cheap in Oz, almost the equivalent of the converted USD price.

yogus, May 31, 2004
  8. Ya-Boo

Harbord

Certainly makes a change from the usual massive markup.

If you do get a Benchmark DAC1 and are in Sydney, It would be great to have a listen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2004
    Harbord, May 31, 2004
  9. Ya-Boo

yogus

Hi Harbord

I'm in Sydney. The nearest dealer for the DAC-1 is Sound Devices in Sussex St in the city.

The RRP is $1595AUD from here.

Not sure when I'll get round to buying it though... :D

As for the usual markup, there are some absolute bargains to be had in Sydney for some products that are at or close to the US/UK price after conversion. Reason? There is no local dealer representation so the distributor is usually happy to give it to the end consumer at cost price and free freight. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2004
    yogus, May 31, 2004
Ask a Question