Best Headphone for domestic use please?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ronjack65, Nov 6, 2013.

1. ronjack65

ronjack65

Hi,i have got the choice down to two cans, they are sennheisser six hundred ,and the
    Beyerdynamic DT-990-2005 at the same price.Would I need a head amp or would my onkyo integra headphone out be ok?I apologise for the red lines but I can`tget rid of them .Thank you Ron!:confused:

ronjack65, Nov 6, 2013
  2. ronjack65

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Ron,

I've only heard the Sens but they were superb.
    Generally you get better results from a dedicated headphone amp. The headphone socket on integrated amps and receivers are usually just a padded down output taken from the loudspeaker circuit which isn't ideal.

PS: I can't see any red lines :)

RobHolt, Nov 7, 2013
  3. ronjack65

felix part-time Horta

I'd add to that list the AKG K550s. Closed-back, too!

I picked up a pair recently new-in-box-secondhand just because, and they are really very, very good. I've still got the Senn HD565 Ovations I've used for the last 15years, which I bought over the raved-about HD600s of the day because of the livelier/more natural/less dull presentation*. Also had Beyer 5xx in that time frame. And some Stax - I still have and use the wonderfully eccentric Stax in-ear phones (superb, actually, esp with modded-to-the-point-of-homebrew amplifier, if you don't mind sticking 650v bias in each ear). The AKGs have put the rest back in the cupboard.

Comparisons in my view: the AKGs don't have the prominent 'warmth' bump of the Senns I've heard & am used to, no the bass is much more extended, flatter and realistic overall. The AKGs also have a more realistic/even-handed mid-treble balance; and the detail/microdynamic rendition is superb - exciting, but natural, not forced; long listening sessions are a pleasure. The things are 32ohm but seem easily driven - sound great just plugged into my macbook pro and sensitive enough that '50% full scale' of teh macs vol setting (rel 1v rms output) is more than loud enough for me.

I'm slightly stunned how 'open' they sound for a closed-back phone - you really, really wouldn't know it, when many closed cans are (IME) really obviously coloured. This means no problems with background noise and low listening levels, nor annoying the SO!

If this reads like a rave, so be it. They are really good and worth the £180rrp.

* the 'negative traits' i heard in the HD600 remains in the more expensive Senns I've heard since - a slight tendency to a bit limp/bloomy sound, Senn's 'free-field equalised' model sounds a bit warm and flat for my taste, demands a very good headphone amp to live with, and tends to slightly rob the presence range of energy - which is a personal matter of taste of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
    felix, Nov 7, 2013
  4. ronjack65

RobHolt Moderator

I think he likes them :)

RobHolt, Nov 7, 2013
  5. ronjack65

digital convert

if you can stretch the budget a bit treat yourself to a pair of the basic STAX electrostatics model SR207 Headphones and SRM252S Energiser. (circa (£745 incl energiser).
    Not closed back mind so if sound leakage is an issue then not he best choice otherwise they are fabulous cans.

digital convert, Nov 8, 2013
  6. ronjack65

rockdog 1960 I only hit it once !

The beyers defiantly .Team them with a Musical Fidelity head phone amp (V3 for preference) I used this set up for years until the dog ate the headphones!Got a pair of AudioTechnica ATH1000'S now but no dog.The sennhausers allways feel like they'r trying to crush your head!

rockdog 1960, Nov 8, 2013
  7. ronjack65

Joelsim Joelsim

The Beyer DT990 are excellent headphones, extremely natural and smooth. Plus they come in 3 different models, 32ohm for portable, 250Ohm for normal use with hifi or portable and 600Ohm for use with a headphone amp.

Stunning, and to my mind better than the more expensive T-70.

Give me a shout if you do decide to go for them as I could do those for £275.

Joelsim, Nov 8, 2013
  8. ronjack65

felix part-time Horta

I've had 2020s, 4040s etc and yes they are wonderful phones. Most of the difference, almost all of it in fact, lies in the energiser choice rather than the headset.

Stax are also the least accomodating to use of any headphone. The connecting cable (ribbon) is a tad heavy, and unfortunately the way the headsets are put together they tend to creak in an alarming manner which can spoil things a bit. Fabulous sound, possibly the very best IME - providing you don't mind sitting quite still.

I like the Beyer 990s too.

felix, Nov 8, 2013
  9. ronjack65

RobHolt Moderator

While we're recommending favourites, I'll mention Audio Technica as some of their mid-upper range full size models are also excellent. Well made too.
    Been using AT-ADH700 here for about 5 years and never felt any need to upgrade them.

RobHolt, Nov 8, 2013
  10. ronjack65

Joelsim Joelsim

Yes the Audio-Technica A900X or AD900X would be good to consider too.

Joelsim, Nov 8, 2013
  11. ronjack65

ronjack65

Hi. Thank`s everyone for youre advice on which to choose,the sennheisser, or the beyerdynamics which I chose.It`s a long story but her indoor`s arranged for me to demoe a pair of Audioeze -LCD 2`,After much Protesting I agreed to let the wife buy them for me for xmas.All I need now is a headphone Amp,Thank`s
    Ron

ronjack65, Nov 15, 2013
  12. ronjack65

felix part-time Horta

Nice result! I hope you enjoy them :)

felix, Nov 15, 2013
  13. ronjack65

Tenson Moderator

I really don't think you can go far wrong with any headphone amp based on the TPA6120 amp chip. If you fancy <0.0003% total distortion and greater than 120dB dynamic range take a look. Just search eBay for TPA6120 and you will find a number of designs using this amp IC.

With the LCD 2 having a reasonably low impedance of 60R it would not be difficult to drive to high levels.

Tenson, Nov 16, 2013
Ask a Question