best solder kit?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by pauldixonuk, Jan 29, 2006.

1. pauldixonuk

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

Which is the best soldering kit available for general hifi cable termination etc? Any links appreciated :)

pauldixonuk, Jan 29, 2006
  2. pauldixonuk

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

pauldixonuk, Jan 29, 2006
  3. pauldixonuk

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

If you can justify the not insubstantial cost get a Weller magnetically regulated soldering Iron. I have in the last 30 or so years soldered with all sorts of stuff, I first used the Weller in the mid 80's and have never found anything better or more reliable (and I tried), so I still use Weller when I can.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 29, 2006
  4. pauldixonuk

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

A good temperature-controlled (ideally adjustable) iron should do the job. I have a Union Brothers BP53 (because it was cheap - currently £30 in amplin). At work, my favourite is the OK Industries, but it's a long-since discontinued model that we can't get spares for anymore. Weller are ok, although the handles can be somewhat uncomfortable. Pace are rather unwieldy and don't seem to make good thermal contact between iron and tip (and the tip wobbles a bit), even with the screw done up as tight as possible.

I-S, Jan 29, 2006
  5. pauldixonuk

Vikash Mad About Sound

The Weller magnestat are very good. Heats up in seconds and heat is regulated. I bought one from farnell and built a diy psu for it:
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/solderstation.html

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it's stopped working now but I think this is what the replacement elements are for on the Farnell site (any opinion here T will be appreciated).

Since then I've gone back to buying the ridiculously cheap temperature controlled chinese made irons from Maplin (usually on offer bor about £12.99 at my local store). They're cruddy, but do the job, and I can throw it away every year and get another without caring ;) http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35016&criteria=iron&doy=19m12

If a replacement element gets my weller going again, I will probably do that though. It's a pleasure to work with in comparisson.

Vikash, Jan 30, 2006
  6. pauldixonuk

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Hi,
    Farnell do all the replacements for the Weller stuff.... I have used Weller irons for years...xcellent...

Chea Johndle, Feb 2, 2006
  7. pauldixonuk

avanzato

I got one of the Antex temp controlled irons as it had a reasonable selection of bits and spare parts available. I don't have any experience of irons but this one's doing me fine.

avanzato, Feb 2, 2006
Ask a Question