Biasing Op-amps to class A

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, Jul 29, 2003.

1. zanash

zanash

Well finally replaced the veriable resistor version of my OPA 2604, with descrete value resistors, in this case 10k.

The idea is to cause a current drain to the output stages of the opamp, by connecting a resistor to the outputs of both channel and the negative supply. This causes the output stages to operate in class A.

So here's what to do .....

Get an 8 way dil socket and hold so that the cut out is at the top, in the middle. Twist two 10k resistor legs together and solder to the lower left pin. Connect one lead to the top left pin and the other to the second from the top on the right.

As the chip is now running in class A its going to need to rid itself of a lot of excess heat, so you need to rig a heatsink. I used a 15mm copper pipe and cut a 6mm length, then filed a flat section and super glued to the top of the opa 2604. THe chip is then inserted into the socket and the socket pluged into the PCB.

How does this now sound, I'm more weighty performance, richer and more musical.

The Denon dcd 920 is now simply stunning and get a new disc first before my other player. I definately consider this mod if your tuning your CDP.

Percived Value 7/10

zanash, Jul 29, 2003
Ask a Question