Big Tannoys

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Jun 30, 2007.

1. johnfromnorwich

melorib Lowrider

Keith,

Dont expect too much from someone who cannot hear differences between cables... :rolleyes:

melorib, Jul 23, 2007
  2. johnfromnorwich

sideshowbob Trisha

Antonio, we're now talking about real hi-fi - speakers and rooms. Cables have nothing to do with this discussion. Feel free to bleat on about them or about how deaf I must be in an appropriate thread, preferably one I'm not reading.

If you have something to contribute on the subject of Tannoys, or TAD, or horns in general, please go ahead.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 23, 2007
  3. johnfromnorwich

melorib Lowrider

As a matter of fact I do... :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago one of my brothers bought a pair of demo Tannoy Kingdom 12 from the local dealer, almost new, half the price...

He needed gear to use them in a VERY big party room in his farm, I sold him some stuff I didnt need anymore, a reasonable SONY CD player with volume control, that I used before, with McIntosh amplifier and KEF 104.2 speakers, and a Bryston 4B ST, he got some Kimber ICs and speaker cable, all was installed by the dealer, but he didnt like the sound, so he called me to check...

He was right, the sound was thin, way too thin for such big speakers, played with position without significant change, then replaced the ICs with a pair of Deltec, ex DPA...

Great sound, we could finally hear what we expected from big Tannoys, how do you explain this... :confused:

melorib, Jul 23, 2007
  4. johnfromnorwich

sideshowbob Trisha

It's a mystery.

Why do you want to turn every thread into a debate about cables? It's almost as if there's only room in your head for a single idea.

-- Ian

5. johnfromnorwich

melorib Lowrider

On the contrary, it is you that want to turn every thread about tweaks into kindergarden. It's almost as if there's only room in your head for a single idea.

melorib, Jul 23, 2007
  6. johnfromnorwich

sideshowbob Trisha

Antonio, your witless sniping every time I make a post is now so spectacularly irritating that you are now on my ignore list, where you will remain forever. Say what you like, I won't be reading it, ever.

Goodbye and good riddance, and I hope one day a single interesting thought occurs to you, it'll make a nice change for you.

-- Ian

7. johnfromnorwich

melorib Lowrider

You dont like your own remedy, poor guy... :newbie:

melorib, Jul 23, 2007
  8. johnfromnorwich

Stereo Mic

Guys,

I would have a pair of Westminsters in a shot if I lived on a ground floor. Sure they are coloured, but as Ian says all speakers are coloured in one respect or another. Mine are. Keiths are. They are all coloured, just in different ways in reality.

My favourite sound at the Munich show was the Tannoy room. Any colouration disappeared into the subconcious after five minutes for me, as it usually does for most people, and I was left with a big grin on my face listening to some Hendrix.

The TAD's I am listening to are inherently more detailed in the midrange and better on piano for instance. The Tannoys image better than any TAD based setup I have heard, and have a coherency that I would be amazed to match but will try - there are qualities of the big Tannoys that I have not heard elsewhere regardless of price.

I find it interesting that many a pure music lover adores the big Tannoys.

Stereo Mic, Jul 23, 2007
  9. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Exactly my motivation....once they're working properly that is.

johnfromnorwich, Jul 23, 2007
  10. johnfromnorwich

Romy The Cat

Hm?. Interesting, how do you evaluate the colorations? If you say that speaker is colored then what does it mean to you? I think other might find it educational to hear.

Is this argument worth anything? I am sure that there are much more people who prefer Kaharms or Lowther-bases speakers to Tannoys and they of souse also fancy themes as ?pure music lover?. Let do not prostitute with ?pure music lover? slogans as I have witnessed quite a number of very serious listeners who got rid of Tannoys due the reasons that you might discover in future.

Rgs, Romy the caT
    ________
    Chrysler Firepower History

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
    Romy The Cat, Jul 23, 2007
  11. johnfromnorwich

Stereo Mic

Pretty easily with our ears - even inexperienced listeners have been shown to be able to reliably identify colouration, even if they lack the vocabulary to describe it.

Colouration is an audible "signature" with which a reproducing system imbues all signals passing through it. Hence it is easy to identify. In the case of the Tannoy it is a resonance and resulting non linear distortion, no doubt due to the horn loading of the tweeter. What does colouration mean to you?

Stereo Mic, Jul 23, 2007
  12. johnfromnorwich

sideshowbob Trisha

Are "pure music lovers" not "serious listeners"?

Well, if it's a choice to be one or the other, I know what I choose.

It's very thin ice to define "seriousness" as a propensity for some other person to share one's taste in loudspeakers.

-- Ian

13. johnfromnorwich

Romy The Cat

It is might not be correct description as any sound has colorations. Take any instrument and play it under different conditions ? it have many colorations, based upon of different criteria. The Prague Philharmonic woodwind players drink clean Prague water that moisturize via saliva their instruments and produce the unique Prague Philharmonic?s tone. So, how do YOU distinct the Sound Colorations that are natural from the playback Coloration that are faulty? I thing is you are still in Tannoy world then you might not know realized the difference?.

They are properties of different dimensions: it is like ?a large and green apple?

Rgs, Romy the caT
    ________
    M43

14. johnfromnorwich

Stereo Mic

Romy,

you miss the important part

As you say, instruments sound different depending on the recording and surroundings. A speaker colouration will imbue them all with the same identifiable character which we do not hear in varied live exposure to that instrument.

Stereo Mic, Jul 23, 2007
  15. johnfromnorwich

Romy The Cat

I did not miss it I ignored because it has built in contradiction. Colorations are purely auditable properties that have no references of any kind to ?signals passing through it?. Colorations are not delta between abstractive input and abstractive output as the abstractive input (would it be ?recording? or ?signal?) has no auditable colorations.

The caT
    ________
    Mercedes-benz m102 engine specifications

16. johnfromnorwich

Stereo Mic

Could you perform a Google for definition of audio colouration for me?

Anyone else help out here? Explain the above to me?

Stereo Mic, Jul 23, 2007
  17. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

The easy thing to do was to swap the backs over (plug in crossovers!). The problem moves with the circuit so I was right all along. No audible issues with drivers and both the HF coils measure the same. Total and absolute pain in the arse though, considering they were sold as 'checked and working perfectly'. Very bulky to return as well. This is about to crash a two week visit from my pseudo mother in law too. I was relying on the music to keep me sane :mad:

johnfromnorwich, Jul 23, 2007
  18. johnfromnorwich

Dev Moderator

Perhaps this link will help:-

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/colouration

Perhaps the onus should be on the Cat to describe it since he mentioned it first, even though he asked you to explain what it meant after you mentioned it.

Dev, Jul 23, 2007
  19. johnfromnorwich

sideshowbob Trisha

No, you're quite wrong. "Pure music lovers" are by definition "serious listeners", because they are only interested in what is musically important, which is precisely what "serious" means when applied to the act of listening to music.

The opposite doesn't necessarily hold, however.

-- Ian

20. johnfromnorwich

Romy The Cat

I disagree. The ?Music loving? is the state that does not implying audio. A ?serious listener? I use in audio framework and this term symbolized an individual who has well-developed listening techniques that enable a listener to intrepid the ?music loving? from audio perspective. The "serious listeners? is not popular or well-used expression as there are very few people to who actually put any meaning behind this definition.

Rgs, The Cat
    ________
    Lamborghini Cala

Romy The Cat, Jul 24, 2007
Ask a Question