Big Tannoys

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Jun 30, 2007.

1. johnfromnorwich

andyoz

Yes, I can see now I look at them closely. They look like they have a long throw on them.

What sort of TAD is that?

Bet the PS3 sounds great through them :D

andyoz, Jul 25, 2007
  2. johnfromnorwich

Romy The Cat

Murray you should not be worry. As you might read: for me the awareness of the person is deterministic. A person, regardless which tools or methods s/he uses do not accomplish anything that exceed his consciousness capacity. Looking at the pile of mental bowel movement that give ?koko? have dumped in this at the Audio Voice?s threads I recognize him as nothing else then a dead person (in audio context and in Gurdjieff?s meaning) and therefore any audio efforts of his are juts a make up over a rotten corps.

Rgs, Romy the Cat
    ________
    Mercedes-Benz W180 History

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
    Romy The Cat, Jul 25, 2007
  3. johnfromnorwich

Stereo Mic

Yet more words of wisdom from AudioYoda.

Stereo Mic, Jul 25, 2007
  4. johnfromnorwich

andyoz

Have you ever tried anything with JBL's LE14H series, you can buy new LE14H-3's off the shelf for not that much money really considering the engineering (£190/ea).

Greg Timbers appears to have a soft spot them from what I have read. I think a 14" driver is perfect for domestic use in many ways.

[​IMG]

Here's an LE14H-1 and H-3 side by side.

[​IMG]

andyoz, Jul 25, 2007
  5. johnfromnorwich

Stereo Mic

I've never tried them Andy. I seem to recall JBL originally went to 14" transducers to circumnavigate taxation laws in South America many years ago. Is that right?

I know Greg uses 1500AL and 1200FE at home in a three way with 435Be. He designed those cabs Julian asked about - he has a pair at home crossing over to the 1200FE at 200hz.

Anyway, The thread should be about big Tannoys! A shame JBL never produced a great DC 15".

Stereo Mic, Jul 25, 2007
  6. johnfromnorwich

TheMooN

I was wondering how things turned out with your Wounded Tannoy m8ty ?

TheMooN, Jul 30, 2007
  7. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

New crossover delivered by Posty this morning. I'll do some swapping around later tonight - hopefully this will be the end of it. I need the spare room back before friday!

johnfromnorwich, Jul 30, 2007
  8. johnfromnorwich

Dev Moderator

Any update John?

Dev, Aug 6, 2007
  9. johnfromnorwich

hifi addict

Notice the proteus amp in the background along with a audion CD player. A very nice combination.

I do like the JBL's

hifi addict, Aug 6, 2007
  10. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Just back from Amsterdam (I bought soooo many records...) so I haven't really had a chance to listen in anger, but whatever the detailed picture is, the gross differences do seem to have been sorted by replacing the crossover. Bigears was concerned that one of the boxes may have taken a knock in transit and damaged the main driver. Since I hadn't thought of this possibility, new levels of audioneurosis have now been superimposed onto whatever remaining objectivity I still had.....

I've got a couple of clear evenings before GF's mother arrives for a week so I can probably get a final picture pretty soon. However, on the whole I should emphasize that I really like them and even if problems remain, I wil be looking for a fix, not a replacement.

johnfromnorwich, Aug 14, 2007
  11. johnfromnorwich

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

good for you John.

Its nice when you end up with something you like.

I wouldnt worry overly about broken bits. These old Tannoys have spares available all over the shop from what I've seen. Like you say, if it costs, it costs. Like a broken car, you just fix it.. and that's it!

bottleneck, Aug 14, 2007
  12. johnfromnorwich

sideshowbob Trisha

Keep us posted John. Hopefully they're sorted now.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 15, 2007
  13. johnfromnorwich

cooky1257

215 is similar in concept and box volume except it lacks the appearance of the older model and it apparently have rather compromised x-over that needs an immediate upgrade.

japs are using 215 turned 90 degrees so both drivers are in vertical axis, DC up[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone,
    I'm a noob on here but a regular on the Tannoy group.
    The 215's do work very well on their 'sides' though as it's a DC it doesn't matter.
    On the comment regarding a 'compromised xover' this is plainly wrong, The 215 xover couldn't get any simpler ie a 4uF cap and selection (depending on the treble level) of 2/3 mills resistors for the HF.A 2mH coil on the Bass driver and a few (10uF)caps and 4uH coil on the bass side of the DC.
    The xovers are hard wired using vdh cable.
    Like anything, you can tweek it-I swapped the stock HF hovland for mundorf supreme but the standard unit is fine.

cooky1257, Aug 31, 2007
  14. johnfromnorwich

Andy 831

Welcome aboard Cooky...... Nice Speaks mate

Andy 831, Aug 31, 2007
  15. johnfromnorwich

cooky1257

Cheers Andy
    Frank

cooky1257, Aug 31, 2007
  16. johnfromnorwich

joel Shaman of Signals

You need to hear the "small" Exclusives (or their EV clones) F*ck-off imaging that makes every other speaker I've ever listened to (including the Yams) sound blurred and rather broken - in this one department.
    REG agrees with me on this FWIW ;-)

joel, Aug 31, 2007
Ask a Question