BIG woofers - small rooms!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, Dec 14, 2006.

1. andyoz

andyoz

I have always been scared to use large woofers (i.e. >12 inch) in the smallish rooms typically found in the UK.

Having recently installed 4-ways with 14" woofers into my 13 x 13ft study, I was expecting bass to be very "boomy" with room modes all out of control. It is planned to move them into a much larger room in about 9 months but I am amazed how good they sound in their temporary location.

This has been discussed in a few threads already but I can safely say that from my experience, DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE BIG WOOFERS IN SMALL ROOMS (particularly if you're a pop/rock lover).

andyoz, Dec 14, 2006
  2. andyoz

joel Shaman of Signals

Well, yes indeed. Of course several experts on here know otherwise, apparently.
    Anyway, congratulations. A 4-way with a 14" LF unit sounds interesting. What is it and how does it do over the rest of the frequency range?

joel, Dec 14, 2006
  3. andyoz

Illuminist

Aslong as the speakers are of quality - You can't moan

...Equal quality of amplification and leads, of course. :JPS:

Illuminist, Dec 14, 2006
  4. andyoz

andyoz

JBL 250Ti's. They have an 8" lower mid and X-overs are all 6dB slopes I believe. Having THREE crossover points is probably totally unnacceptable for the purists but what the hell, they rock!

andyoz, Dec 14, 2006
  5. andyoz

ShinOBIWAN

Sounds like your having a blast Andy. 2x 14's in 13 x 13 room would be pretty intense :)

ShinOBIWAN, Dec 14, 2006
  6. andyoz

andyoz

I am getting the wall of sound I always like and they really lock into a songs groove and rythym.

But it's funny that the 8" Dynaudio speakers they replace were much more 'boomy' sounding.

andyoz, Dec 14, 2006
  7. andyoz

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'm finding that big speakers sound best in big rooms, but that they still sound better than small speakers in small rooms.

Horrible generalisation, obviously.

bottleneck, Dec 14, 2006
  8. andyoz

Illuminist

Andy - I agree balancing three-way speaker systems is tough but it can be done - BC1's spring to mind. Especially when you consider the spectrum of ''bottom, mid and top''.

Illuminist, Dec 14, 2006
  9. andyoz

ShinOBIWAN

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas.

Experts? There are no experts on here! Just folks sharing opinions and experiences.

ShinOBIWAN, Dec 14, 2006
  10. andyoz

andyoz

Settle, settle...

I note that my study has 3 concrete block walls and a single lightweight plasterboard stud wall. It is also an upstairs room so has a fairly lightweight plasterboard ceiling attached to smallish timbers.

I personaly think that these "membranes" are sucking just enough LF energy out of the room to keep the room modes in check. I may not be as positive about the bottom-end if I had FOUR solid masonry walls and a less compliant ceiling.

andyoz, Dec 14, 2006
  11. andyoz

andyoz

These babies are 4-ways :eek:

andyoz, Dec 14, 2006
Ask a Question