Boombox diy

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by fross, May 7, 2021.

1. fross

fross

Hello,
    I would like to make a boombox speaker with two woofer and two tweeter, but I don't know how to mount them. I would like to do something like this but without the screen. Does anyone have an idea? For amplifiers and filters

Attached Files:

fross, May 7, 2021
  2. fross

Sergeauckland

10mm plywood or MDF for the box, then either paint finish or perhaps Rexine for a vintage look.

Assuming you're not interested in battery power, then any small, say 10 watt, Class D amplifier board from eBay and a suitable power supply will work. Crossover can be as simple as a single capacitor and inductor, or as complicated as you want to make it, but as the end result is hardly going to be HiFi, I suggest a simple crossover is adequate.

You haven't mentioned what source(s) you're going to use, so the input side of the project needs more definition. At the very least, you'll need a volume control and I suggest, tone controls so one of the Vellemann preamp kits should work.

Your most difficult decisions I think will be in the choice of the drive units, and what facilities the project needs to have. The choice of electronics will be relatively easy.

S.

Sergeauckland, May 7, 2021
  3. fross

jbhunter1

The best materials for building an enclosure are MDF, particle board, and plywood.

MDF is cheapest, and easy to work. It's less durable, and acoustically not as good. Particle board is in the middle for price, and has great sound qualities. It's harder to work and finish. Plywood is fairly easy to work with and gives great sound, but is the most expensive.

There are plenty of videos online. Just search "boombox diy" or "bluetooth speaker diy" for some great tips.

jbhunter1, May 16, 2021
    Sergeauckland likes this.
Ask a Question