boring boring

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Oct 12, 2003.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Right I'm looking for help. Someone out there must have had some similair experiences.
    We recently moved house, and inevitably the hi-fi has moved rooms. Now I thought I was getting a good deal here, the previous owner was into his hi-fi too and had fitted a dedicated spur. The floors are made of stone so my stands have got a proper base, and then there is carpet on top, so not to much of and echo chamber.
    So I duly set it up, and from the next door room it sounds great. But as soon as I sit down to listen to it it sounds boring just bloody boring. Yes I've got better bass, but all the middle zing and treble zip seems to have disappeared, the only way I can describe the sound is flat.
    So I'm wondering what to do. I'm going to have to sell some gear, I've got my Yamaha 580SE, some Quad 33/303's with a set of fab cables, a Denon TU660L tuner that I could sell for a start. Then I can start chipping away at the system......
    I think the Linn Intek is not gutsy enough for what is a big room. Heard the Marantz PM 7200 the other day, rather liked what I heard. That sounded very big and unburstable, should match quite well with the P3 especially in class A mode, so I reckon I can rustle up about £600 for some modifications, I don't think I'm going to make a massive improvement just my excitement back. I was also thinking about a new DAC. I've seen the TAG ones going for about £300 now so if I sold the Audio Alchemy I could probably run to that and the Marantz......But I'd also quite like a one box CD. My Technics is about 5 years old now and probably isn't long for this world.
    Or not long since at one of the bake-offs, there was a lot of raving about a valve amp that came in at around £250. I could then look at spending about another £350 on the CD source. Any ideas here.
    I want to keep the Rega Kytes and the P3. We've just moved house and are skint so I can't spend buckets. Like I say I could sell the Quads, the Linn, the Audio Alchemy DAC, the Yamaha 580SE, and the Denon TU600L, whatever I raise I could spend, I could probably rustle up a little more. So ideas please kit brand-new or second hand that will fill what is a biggish room 5m x 5m and not sound so boring.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2003
    lordsummit, Oct 12, 2003
  2. lordsummit

merlin

More details please.

What is the difference in dimensions compared with your old room? Are you sitting the same distance from the speakers? Nearfield or farfield? Better bass or just more of it? Is it one note? What's on the walls? In what way is it boring?

This always seems to happen when people move house, just goes to show how important room acoustics are to the final result, regardless of the kit selected.

IMO try to get the room sorted before throwing money at the components, do you seem to have enough volume and power?

merlin, Oct 12, 2003
  3. lordsummit

adam

Its pyscological,new house need new hi-fi,good excuse to upgade!

adam, Oct 12, 2003
  4. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

The old room was 4 x 3, the components are similairly sited. The bass is definitely warmer, what seems to have really gone is the middle and top. I am sitting in the same place really about 2.5m away from the speakers. The best way I can describe it is that all the bite has been sucked away from the speakers. It sounds quite loud from the rooms around it, but when you sit down and listen it seems really flat and lifeless. I think the system needs more guts really, an amp with more in reserve, and my CD arrangements were not up to scratch before, especially not compared to the P3.
    One thought occurred to me. could I be hearing the difference between an uncarpeted room, like my old listening space and a carpeted one, the new space?
    It really is though the lack of excitement from the treble that is doing my head in

lordsummit, Oct 12, 2003
  5. lordsummit

adam

Curtains and carpets will make a big difference,as they soak up and absorb the mids and treble,sometimes changing kit wont help,if a room had a sonic signiture,its very hard to get rid of it.I have a massive midrange hump,that no matter what kit I put in it the sonic character remains,Im next going to try some acoustic tools to see if they help these reflextions.

adam, Oct 12, 2003
  6. lordsummit

merlin

That'll do it:D A far less reflective enviroment, you are getting more bass (or your previous room was bass deficient) A shift in the bass area will have the kind of affect you desribe in the mid and treble.

Strange as it may seem to some, I would look at trying some Mana supports in your case:eek: Certainly under the Regas. You get a 30 day moneyback anyway, so if you are looking to add some zing, it could be just the thing.

:duck:

merlin, Oct 12, 2003
  7. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I'd not thought about the stands. They're on Linn Kans at the moment, a partnership that is supposed to have considerable synergy. I'll think about that, it wasn't they route that had occured to me, besides I'm not sure I can afford them!

lordsummit, Oct 12, 2003
  8. lordsummit

penance Arrogant Cock

OMG!!

Merlin << :gatling:

;)

penance, Oct 12, 2003
  9. lordsummit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

Have you got your speakers on concrete pavers or similar? this seems sharpen treble and 'demuff' !! the floor a bit.

Like Merlin Im convinced its because you've gone from a non-carpet to a carpet.

A bit serious - but you could try getting the carpet up and putting a very large rug down. That would definately add more bite.

Possibly you set up your system to sound good in your old place, and now the rules have changed..

I'd mess about with speaker positioning a bit more too if I were you.

All IMO

Chris

bottleneck, Oct 12, 2003
  10. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Been there:) The floor underneath the carpet is solid stone about 2 inches thick. The spikes rest directly onto that. I think that my amp and CD combo is just not cutting the mustard. I've tinkered and fiddled and it sounded great at my last address, now it doesn't. I really am thinking of having a big clearout and replacing the amp and CD source. The Marantz 7200, Rega Brio are springing to mind for the amp. For the CD I don't know. Will have to try some. Superfi have suggested the Marantz with the rotel rcd991 sounds tempting, but I'm not sure I can afford it. My local dealer suggests a Rega Brio with one of the Arcams. I think at the root of the problem is the fact that the Linn is a little pipe and slippers, it does have quite a warm sound I think. I suspect I spent a lot of time balancing the treble at my last house due to laminate floors etc. now I'm paying the price.

lordsummit, Oct 12, 2003
  11. lordsummit

cookiemonster

Hey Lord, congrats on the new house. Cookie is still in the market for a new nest, but no joy as yet.

You have PM BTW.:)

cookiemonster, Oct 12, 2003
  12. lordsummit

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

What are the walls made of? Are the windows smaller? Sounds like the whole room is too absorbent.

Bring the speakers out a little further to increase the nearfield content. Add a mirror or slab of marble to a wall. Change equipment supports. Speak to w-m about cables ...

... Then upgrade anyway. You know you want to.

7_V, Oct 12, 2003
  13. lordsummit

The Devil IHTFP

Have you checked that the speakers are wired in phase? Yes silly but easily done.

The Devil, Oct 12, 2003
  14. lordsummit

sideshowbob Trisha

Yes, sounds to me like your new room has brought on a case of upgradeitis. New room=new equipment. Do not resist.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 12, 2003
  15. lordsummit

osama Perenially Bored

Adam, you can save money on acoustic tools. Why don't you try diffusing the sound in your room? Same goes for lordsummit.

regards

osama, Oct 12, 2003
  16. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

The walls are solid, three bricks thick. Yes the windows are smalelr, but the most significant change would be the fact that the stairs are going up out of the room. I expected this to suck bass out, but it would appear not. If anything I think the sound is too diffuse. Perhaps I need to get a coffee table in front of the listening position?

lordsummit, Oct 12, 2003
  17. lordsummit

adam

The room is the hardest thing to get right,and i so overlooked by people.

I've tried everything under the sun in my current room from hell,the size doesnt help being 3.2m x 3.2 m, It typical mediterrian build,soilid concrete floor,brick walls,tiled/marble floor,I've a exspensive rack,cables,etc,thick rug on floor,walls,bookshelfs,sofa,moved speakers around,but to no avail,hence i need to sell the house to get a better room,extreme yes,but why spend time and money on a good set up,when a room spoils it.

adam, Oct 12, 2003
  18. lordsummit

adam

latest pictures of my room and kit.[​IMG]

adam, Oct 12, 2003
  19. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Right, after playing with one or two options last sunday, a rather lovely in my opinion anyway Rotel RCD991 is sitting in my kitrack, and very fine it sounds too. My treble and middle have opened up and the bass has got it's defintion back. This has to be one of the best upgrades I've ever made. Mind you the Audio Alchemy DAC was not shown up, a little more congested, and not quite as analytical, but it does a pretty good job with the music, but it's not got what the Rotel has. Am resisting the temptation to play with the Dither, feel that could lead to a lot of dithering (oh dear) as to which setting to put it on. So now I'm happy, my room has got it's upgrade I'm going to launch the stuff on Ebay early next week, maybe I'll be able to get enough to buy a new cartridge as well. Discovered today that Mrs Summit left it on the playout track for a week whilst I was away. That must be grounds for a replacement :D

lordsummit, Oct 17, 2003
  20. lordsummit

MO! MOnkey`ead!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

A week!!! At least you can be sure it's run in!!!

MO!, Oct 18, 2003
Ask a Question