Bowers 804s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Berringer, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Berringer

Berringer

a few months back i visited Chantry audio in Tuxford, to audition a pair of B&W 804s. The owner there (Nigel?), told me they had dropped Bowers & Wilkins, because the new range wasnt as good as the older range, and that they were difficult to deal with. He said he had an alternative, that was better, which he played me, whilst constantly attacking B&W. They sounded pretty poor, so i made my excuses and left.

lesson one Chantry..Never critisise something you dont stock.

Anyway, i ventured north, and listened to a pair in another dealer, who were mega helpfull, full of praise for the speakers, and my kit (some of which they dont sell), and eventually bought a pair. Well they sounded good in the dealer, but they sound much better at home, and even the wife loves em. In short the best 2.5k i have ever spent. Incidentally this dealer told me that B&W had dropped Chantry not the other way around

Lesson two Chantry..Never let bitterness rule your business.

Recently, on a trip to Ollerton, i passed Chantry, and decided to call in and have a chat.Guess what it looks like its closed down, and it looks like Bowers made the right decision.

Anyone else have a pair of 804s? what do you use with them? esspecially cables.

Berringer, Aug 30, 2006
  2. Berringer

Stereo Mic

Guess What. B&W is up for sale. Hope they find a buyer.

Stereo Mic, Aug 30, 2006
  3. Berringer

patmarcus

Hi there. Until very recently had 804s and loved em to bits. Pound-for-pound I think they gave me more musical happiness than anything else Ive ever bought. My local Dealer has just restarted doing B&W 800 series, after a major refit.
    804s need a decent power amp driving them. Ive never heard them thrive on an integrated (other than perhaps a Krell), ever on an AV amp and in fact dont really like power amps that dont deliver bucket loads of clout. Without plenty of oomph they sound too polite. As for speaker cables, I dont find them that fussy. I use QED Silver Profile 12 (£15 per metre biwired and very usefully flat for laying under carpet). I recently did a group test with both Nordost Baldur and Heimdal, as well as Chord Odyssey 4. All are much more expensive and none showed huge advantages over the other. Conversely, I found them quite capable of revealing the subtle differences between interconnects and now use the truly wonderful Atlas Elektras pretty much throughout my system.

patmarcus, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Berringer

johnhunt recidivist

berringer -what a charmer!

johnhunt, Aug 30, 2006
  5. Berringer

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Are you including the enormous cost of the enormously powerful transistor amp you need to drive the 804's, in your "pound-for-pound" value equation?

Just wondering. Is it really correct to call a speaker good value, when it'll only work at its best with 250wpc behemoths feeding them?

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Berringer

Stereo Mic

DT, Tact integrated works well for a grand.

Stereo Mic, Aug 31, 2006
  7. Berringer

Heard conflicting reports about the Tact's (and switching amps in general) headline-grabbing output power. Some say it doesn't go anywhere near as loud as an equivalently rated transistor amp.

What's the dig?

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 31, 2006
  8. Berringer

Stereo Mic

The Tact integrated drove Dyn Confidence 5's like a Levinson 336. There is no shortage of power whatsoever. Some obviously don't know what they are on about.

Stereo Mic, Aug 31, 2006
  9. Berringer

patmarcus

Fair point DT and thanks again for all your turntable advice.

patmarcus, Aug 31, 2006
  10. Berringer

Hi Pat, would be interested to know how you're getting on with the SM?

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 1, 2006
Ask a Question