Bryston SST vs ST...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lowrider, Feb 7, 2004.

1. lowrider

lowrider Live music is surround

Yesterday I borrowed a demo 4B SST from the importer to compare with my 4B ST, left it running for an hour, then played my regular demo CD...

Shock, had to call the wife to confirm, it sounded muffled all the way to the midrange, uncontrolled bass, almost as bad as a Plinius 8200 that couldnt handle my Sonus Faber EAII...

Replaced with my old ST to confirm settings had not changed somehow, every thing sounded fine again, so...

1 - New Brystons lost their balls handling difficult loads
    2 - Became "audiophile" and need long run-in
    3 - This unit is defective

What do you think ?

lowrider, Feb 7, 2004
  2. lowrider

Pino Spetzberg

Pino Spetzberg, Feb 7, 2004
  3. lowrider

Yes, thats the only logical explanation, but the portuguese importer will only get a new one with a firm order, and I am not taking that risk after this test... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Feb 7, 2004
  4. lowrider

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Hi Antonio

You'll just have to persuade the importer that even you, as an existing Bryston owner, wouldn't buy one on the basis of it's demo performance. If it's clearly defective, it's in no-ones interests, least of all Brystons, to have it go out for demo.

Cheers

timpy, Feb 7, 2004
  5. lowrider

dunkyboy

Is it brand new? Maybe a break-in issue..? Maybe give it another go in a few weeks' time after its been given a good thrashing.

Also, I'd write/ring/email Bryston as I'm sure they'd like to know about it, and maybe they can identify the problem?

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 7, 2004
  6. lowrider

I did e-mail Bryston... :JPS:

lowrider, Feb 7, 2004
  7. lowrider

penance Arrogant Cock

penance, Feb 7, 2004
  8. lowrider

GAZZ

I thought the only difference between the 4B sst and the B st was the power supply

GAZZ, Feb 7, 2004
  9. lowrider

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I agree. It's probably a defective unit and so the importer should be keen to get it back to Bryston. If they can't give you one that works, walk away.

7_V, Feb 8, 2004
  10. lowrider

James Tanner thinks it is defective or wrongly hooked, I asked him what could be wrong using the same balanced cables as with the ST... :rolleyes:

He also says the new SST is better in every regard, less distortion above 2k, double power capacity, better driving difficult loads, etc... :notworthy

lowrider, Feb 8, 2004
  11. lowrider

merlin

Sorry Antonio, but I still don't get the raves about Bryston. It's good kit no doubt, but I vastly preferred Classe, Audio Research and of course Sim. I sold my Brystons some time ago and don't really want to go back.

I know you like them, so personal preference is the thing here. But why not try something different? How about a Krell 2250? And look out for some Classe CAM350's coming up cheap, as the manufacturer is replacing the whole range. Trust me here, these are very very fine amps that will drive anything.

merlin, Feb 8, 2004
  12. lowrider

I believe you Merlin... :MILD:

I just wanted to check out the new version, see if it is noticeably better than the old ST... :rolleyes:

Anyway, one of this days I am going to need a 3 channel power, like the 6B SST, what do you recommend... :confused:

lowrider, Feb 9, 2004
  13. lowrider

dat19 blind test terrorist

Depending on where these speakers are... (I'm thinking center and 2 rears???)

you might want to consider powerpaks instead, you can put the powerpak next to the speaker, use 3ft of speaker wire and 30ft of interconnect (for rears). It's much tidier than running "tow-rope" speaker cable around the place (and is a technically better solution, which in some cases might even sound better).

AFAIK the powerpak 120's are the ST (not SST) configuration - it looks like the powerpak 300 is SST though.

The only problem with powerpaks is they rarely come up on the used market. I waited 6 months to score an almost new pair for $1200 (which I thought was pretty pricey..)

dat19, Feb 9, 2004
  14. lowrider

I have two pairs of Powerpacs 120, for surround and center, one spare... :MILD:

But I would like to have a 3 channel power for front and center, move a pair of powerpacs close to the surrounds, to save space on the rack... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Feb 9, 2004
  15. lowrider

merlin

Antonio,

For me, three channel amps just limit your choice too much, the only one I can think of that might do it would be the BelCanto Evo6 bridged.

I'd look for three monos personally, or two stereos as the CC2 really seems to respond well to biamping.

merlin, Feb 9, 2004
  16. lowrider

yogus

From the audio circle forum, i think there's a new PP120SST coming out.

yogus, Feb 9, 2004
  17. lowrider

Yes, the eVo 6 bridged did catch my eye, how much does it cost in the UK... :rolleyes:

I used to have prejudice against bridging, but from what I read it even improves Belcanto powers... :MILD:

I dont consider bi-amping without external xover... :mad:

Oh, and I am trying to avoid a large number of boxes... :(

lowrider, Feb 10, 2004
Ask a Question