Bullet plugs - where's the cheapest place to buy them?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by MartinC, Nov 4, 2004.

1. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I'm after some of the basic bullet plugs to make up a sub lead and the best I've found is www.hificables.co.uk, where a set of 4 including delivery is £26.49. Anyone know of a cheaper source?

MartinC, Nov 4, 2004
  2. MartinC

michaelab desafinado

That looks like a pretty good price to me. IMO you'd be hard pressed to find them cheaper.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 4, 2004
  3. MartinC

avanzato

"The-missing-link" lists them at £25 inc post on their website. I never noticed anything special about the bullets when I used them but everyone's using them now.

avanzato, Nov 4, 2004
  4. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Cheers avanzato - I'll probably give them a try. I've heard good things about them sonically but bad things about their construction (the plastic bodied ones). Anyway, I want to make up a stereo sub lead and thought I'd give them a shot, if nothing else to see how hard they are to use before I consider reterminating any of my main interconnects.

MartinC, Nov 4, 2004
  5. MartinC

michaelab desafinado

I'd refuse to buy anything from "The Missing Link" simply because of the way he/they spam the hififorsale.com public (non trade) adverts section with immensly irritating ads :mad:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 4, 2004
  6. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Not quite with you Michael. I've just had a look and all their ads do seem to be listed in the "Dealer Ads" section.

MartinC, Nov 4, 2004
  7. MartinC

michaelab desafinado

They might have been pulled, but until only a few days ago, every 2nd or 3rd ad in the the public section was a Missing Link ad, leading to quite a number of people posting "ads" telling the missing link to f*ck off! There was even a thread about it here.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 4, 2004
  8. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Ah, I'd seen that thread but hadn't understoond the reason for the anti-missing link posts :eek: .

MartinC, Nov 4, 2004
  9. MartinC

Snoopdog

Martin,

I use Eichmann Silver Bullets on my interconnects and the cheapest I found them was from the Missing Link.

I have always found them to be robust (the silver bullets have metal jackets) and I also have reterminated cables with the standard bullet plug, which has a plastic jacket and found them just as durable.

They are also a doddle to solder and I have never understood some complaints I have read about the connector 'coming to pieces' when handled. There must be some extremely 'ham-fisted' individuals out there if this has really happened to them.

Incidentally, I really cannot understand all the vitreol and spite that is directed at The Missing Link adverts on the Hififorsale website. Anyone who has ever had any dealings with Mark Sears can attest that he is a very polite and interesting person to talk to and do business with.

It is my understanding that he pays for his advertising on Hififorsale and that this is a legitimate means of attracting potential customers to his products.

To my mind, it is like people who complain about things that appear on TV - there is always an option to turn off or in the case of adverts, ignore them if you do not like what you see/read!

Why people have to be rude and post crude counter-ads is beyond me.

A little kindness and respect for others costs nothing!!!!

Snoopdog, Nov 4, 2004
  10. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Hehe! Lets see which category I fall into then...

If I end up reterminating the main IC I have in mind that would probably be with the silver ones, but I thought it prudent to try out the cheaper ones first.

MartinC, Nov 4, 2004
  11. MartinC

analoguekid Planet Rush

oops?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
    analoguekid, Nov 4, 2004
  12. MartinC

analoguekid Planet Rush

Bought some mains plugs from ML great professional service, goods came in a couple of days, buy with confidence, there is a company on that sells silver cable with silver bullets for less than 4 silver bullets normally cost, there was a thread on HFC about it but can't get access as sight is down, will post link when I can think it was around £45 for 0.5m cilsver cable and 4 silver bullets.

analoguekid, Nov 4, 2004
  13. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

You're probably thinking of these guys AK?

http://www.brothers.nildram.co.uk/index.html

I started a thread here a little while ago to see if anyone had any experience of them, as the prices do seem somewhat too good to be true. Didn't get any response though :( . Like you I had considered them a source of cheap silver bullets though.

All I can think is they possibly got a great deal on a lot of the older, non metal body silver bullets? Not sure what the normal dealer markup is, but I wouldn't have thought it was enough for them to make a profit on a 0.5m solid silver stereo IC pair with silver bullets for £49 inc. postage otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
    MartinC, Nov 5, 2004
  14. MartinC

analoguekid Planet Rush

That's the ones, I have no interest in them just remebered the link.

analoguekid, Nov 5, 2004
  15. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Sorry, meant you'd recognised them as a potential source of cheap silver bullets that's all.

MartinC, Nov 5, 2004
  16. MartinC

analoguekid Planet Rush

No need to be sorry Martin, I wasn't offended, just wafflin' :)

analoguekid, Nov 5, 2004
  17. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Thought so, just trying to stay out of trouble today ;) .

I ordered four of the standard bullets from The Missing Link yesterday BTW. Trouble is Maplins are now out of stock of Van Damme Starquad mic. cable I was planning to use. Grrrr.... They had enough yesterday, but the ordering bit of their site couldn't cope with the address I wanted. Fingers crossed a different source I've just e-mailed can come up with the goods.

MartinC, Nov 5, 2004
  18. MartinC

nankin

Missing Link

Just my two pennies worth I have now bought all my cables from the link and found Mark to be very helpful and his cables to be superb my latest purchase was Link cryo referance interconnect with silver Eichman bullets blew the Nordost cable I had in place out the water for sound stage and musicality, and as I understand it the person slagging him on the site is in direct competion with him selling cables, a rather piss poor way of trying to affect your buisness rival and very childish.

He also offers a free home demo service so you can try before you buy which I used before I bought my speaker cable.

All in all top bloke and a very very good range of products.

Cheers The Nankin

nankin, Nov 10, 2004
  19. MartinC

michaelab desafinado

He may be a good bloke, and the quality of his cables might be excellent. However, spaming the free ad section of HFFS with trade ads is bloody annoying :mad:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2004
  20. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

For info my bullets from the missing link arrived safely yesterday, along with a not they'd take so long. I was also pleasantly surprised to find they were the newer metal body variety rather than the original plastic bodies everyone's probably used to seeing. I knew they'd upgraded the bodies on the silver version but not the standard one. They look rather smart in their box actually :). Shame I don't have a cable to put them on yet!

MartinC, Nov 11, 2004
Ask a Question