Buying a new int amp: Creek Evo or Rotel RA-1062

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MrBeez, Jul 27, 2007.

1. MrBeez

MrBeez

Hi,

This is my first post so go easy on me. :) Sorry it's so long!

Anyway, I'm currently using an late 80s/90s issue Quad 306 (with matching Quad preamp) and i'm looking to make a change. I do love the sound (50 wpc) and looks of these, but I'd really like something with the following:

- 1 box (i.e. it's got to be an integrated amp)
    - remote (a must! my wife insists!!!)
    - phono stage
    - headphone socket (i.e. i don't want to add a head amp)
    - ability to add a subwoofer later (e.g. using pre or tape out)
    - no frills (i can live without balance, tone defeat etc)
    - somewhere in the 1K$ US range

Based on this I've come across the "Creek EVO" and the "Rotel RA-1062" (The Rega "Maia" looks great but don't have a headphone amp :( )

Creek: http://www.creekaudio.co.uk/main_product.asp?prolook=evo_amp
    Rotel: http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/ra1062.htm

What I like about the Creek is that it's got higher wattage (85 to the Rotel's 60) and lower distortion (<0.01 to the Rotel's <0.03). it's also got less knobs and such, which i like.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if the Creek's external build quality is up to the standards of the Rotel's. I have seen the Rotel and it looks really solid. I haven't actually seen the Creek in person: It's def prettier and more elegant but I don't want to deal with busted knobs or dead screen in 10 years... (I think i like the creek better on the inside and the rotel better from the outside :) )

Does anyone have any ideas about these amps? Or simimar amps in this category?

these will be connected to my trusty b&w mini-monitors. i may be upgrading to smaller floorstanders next year (looking at axiom, epos, dynaudio and paradigm depending on my $ituation)

thanks for your help!! really loving this forum & hope to participate a lot.

MrBeez, Jul 27, 2007
  2. MrBeez

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Don't worry about the rotel's power rating... my "60W" RA-971mkII easily gave out over 100W into 8 ohms without clipping on the test bench. Also, the rotel's distortion is conservatively rated.

However, not to say that the Creek is a bad amp in any way. Either one would be a fine choice.

Also look at the NAD C372. It is fantastically powerful (over 180W per channel into 8 ohms), and it's claimed distortion of 0.03% is only due to a testing oddity that results from a little mains hum - once this is excluded the true figure through most of the band is more like 0.003%. It does not have a phono stage, but NAD's PP2 is not expensive.

I-S, Jul 27, 2007
  3. MrBeez

Stereo Mic

Hi Mr Beez and welcome.

Both of the amps you mention are excellent and to characterise them, the Rotel offers a safer, more grounded presentation, whilst the Creek is somewhat lighter sounding and a little more lively.

Don't worry about the power ratings. The real difference, even assuming the paper specs are right, is only just over 1 decibel in maximum loudness/headroom. Really not worth worrying about and my experience of Rotel suggests they have very "stiff" power supplies and are conservatively rated. It may well be the more powerful amplifier of the two in real world conditions.

Also don't worry about the THD figure. It really means nothing and it is far better to hear the two amps driving your own speakers and making a decision based on your own listening experience.

I've heard some ridiculously expensive kit over the years, but I have to say, after a few days of aclimatisation with a number of Rotels, you do find yourself wondering whether anyone really NEEDS anything better. Musically they are a very safe purchase.

My only note of caution would be the impending speaker upgrade. If indeed you do intend changing them in the very near future, my advice would be to buy the best loudspeaker for your living room first, then buy the amplifier that drives them best.

Stereo Mic, Jul 27, 2007
  4. MrBeez

dudywoxer Regaholic

If you are that close to changing speakers then I would also suggest you decide on them first. The hardest interaction to get right is the one between your room - speakers and ears. Get that, then as stereo mic suggests, get the amp that drives them.
    Maybe when you hear the speakers and amp of your choice you will find the soace for a head phone amp, and the subwoofer may well not be required.
    ________
    Setting up extreme q

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Jul 27, 2007
  5. MrBeez

zanash

I've heard the creek....this would be my route......

but you say you have a quad 33/303 combo ..you can get much from these if you allow such as netaudio to bring the units upto date

http://www.net-audio.co.uk/quad33upgrade.html

I would not be surprised if these upgrades didn't provide you with a better sound than the integrated's you mention..bar the remote

zanash, Jul 29, 2007
  6. MrBeez

stevehi-fi stevehi-fi

I have a Creek preamp and 2 x Creek poweramps, and
    recommend them. Very good tonally, deep and fast bass. Excellent grip of speakers, and there is a Creek/Epos forum for backup in case there are any technical issues.

stevehi-fi, Jul 29, 2007
  7. MrBeez

chefren

The Evo (like many integrated amps today) has high output impedance on it's headphone output, limiting the number of headphones which work well with it. It apparently also has a lowish input impedance and requires that some attention is paid to source matching. If neither is a problem it's a very nice amp.

chefren, Jul 30, 2007
  8. MrBeez

MrBeez

thanks for your inputs folks. i really appreciate it. the reason i'm changing the amps first is that i want to get that out of the way for practical/costs reasons and then find the right speakers for whichever i choose.

i'm not sure what this means 100%. i hadn't seen any mention of this topics in my research.

so that means i need extra sensitive headphones and a cd player/turntable with a high output signal? (currently one thing that drives me nuts about the Quad 34 preamp is the phono is very, very low and the cd player is SUPER LOUD... )

MrBeez, Jul 30, 2007
  9. MrBeez

chefren

The amp was reviewed in a Finnish magazine and although it was given a very good review in most aspects including sound, the headphone output impedance and especially the low input impedance of 3,6Kohms were raised as concerns. The input impedance needs to be at least 10* the output impedance of the source or you might get distortion and other problems. I think the same ratio applies for headphones(?) and the EVOs headphone output impedance was 220ohms.

I have the 50ohm Senheiser 595s and they certainly don't like high output impedance; the result is an overblown and soft bottom end as well as an overall lack of brightness. A proper headphone amp made a world of difference. I recommend you try it with your own headphones before buying.

Edit: AFAIK high signals and sensitivity don't really have anything to do with this.

chefren, Jul 30, 2007
  10. MrBeez

Stereo Mic

That is the wrong way to go about things but it's your money. Good luck with you search.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
    Stereo Mic, Jul 30, 2007
  11. MrBeez

rollo

You might check out the Stello line. Affordable and natural sounding components.

rollo

rollo, Aug 1, 2007
Ask a Question