Buying a used Cartridge - what to look for?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jackthebiscuit, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Had I worked harder at school, I may not be forever trawling the used sections of every hifi site/ad I can find. That though is history! My question is when buying a used cartridge, what are the things you should be trying to avoid, maximum hours, for example or already retipped?
    Bit of a novice re vinyl, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Cartridge BTW is for an SME10/309.

Thanks
    JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Sep 8, 2005
  2. Jackthebiscuit

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

I would have thought that a little common sense would go a long way. it's a bit like buyin a car at an auction. if you cannot examine the cartridge before buying it I would be very wary.

if you're buying on ebay, then I would recommend researching the value of the cartridge as an exchange towards a new one and bid accordingly. if it's shagged and you've paid more than the exchange value then you'll be out of pocket.

just because someone says its done 200 hrs, doesn't mean that it has. or it could have done 200 hrs on very mucky charity shop records.

kennyk, Sep 8, 2005
  3. Jackthebiscuit

Anex Thermionic

Theres some real bargains to be had but then again there isn't, I had them which have been knackered from mis-adjusted bias but then I have some that are still going. Its a bit of a lottery really but you can save alot of cash. They virtually all say 'less than 100hrs' anyway so it mainly comes down to luck unless like Kenny said you can examine it first. Anything in particular you were looking at?

Anex, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Jackthebiscuit

rudolph hucker rude ol --cker

look at the person selling it and the way his manner is, and his surroundings. i f you turn up at a stately home and his butler takes you to his rockport sirius then you can buy with confidence.
    or end up at some grotty old smelly council flat then don't bother

rudolph hucker, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Jackthebiscuit

rodrat

I would be very careful about buying a cartridge from ebay or any source where the provenance is unclear. E.G. A had a Troika which had low use but was knackered due to age as the suspension had gone. Under a microscope it looked fine. Best to buy from a reputable dealer who has taken one in PX or somebody from a forum who has a track history. I don't agree with Rudolph. I have met a few wealthy people who treat their possession with little care. The best people to buy from are anoraks but it takes a lot of patience.

Rod

rodrat, Sep 8, 2005
  6. Jackthebiscuit

but buying from a dealer is an expensive way of doing it, and your right the suspension can be knackered, i personaly would not buy a secondhand cartridge, search the internet for new prices.

7. Jackthebiscuit

Iain Douglas

Can anyone tell me where I can get some good part worn tyres for my Aston DB8 ?
    Seriously if you can afford an SME 10 and 309 you owe it to yourself to use a new cartridge.
    Iain

Iain Douglas, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Jackthebiscuit

get a van den hul mc1 special

9. Jackthebiscuit

Anex Thermionic

Depends how much cash you have. Nothing wrong with building up slowly with a used cart till you can afford something new. I actually prefer used carts in a way, you don't have to bother about breaking them in although I wouldn't spend a huge amount on them.

Anex, Sep 8, 2005
Ask a Question