Buying concert tickets from Ebay

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 22, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My mate is begging me to come to see Morrisey on the 22nd of May. However the tickets are now sold out and only availible on ebay for stupid amounts of money. Has anybody bought tickets on ebay before? How do you know if they are the genuine article?

amazingtrade, Mar 22, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

You don't ;) Have to trust your instincts and hope. Check the eBay rules though - I have a feeling that "event" tickets are one of the things you're not allowed to sell on eBay.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 22, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

I've bought tickets on eBay before, for Springsteen in London last year, the tickets for both nights set me back a tenner about 4 days before the shows due to the amount on ebay the price kept coming down as the touts tried to make something back.

You can normally get a ticket for face or just above off a tout about half hour before the show starts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Morrissey gig has some more tickets released, they often keep some back for release nearer to the day. There's always fans with spares anyway so you should have no problem.

ilockyer, Mar 22, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

I read on the BBC site that they sold 16,000 tickets within 90 minutes for this gig so its going to be a big one.

I am not sure what to do, my mate is hasseling me like mad to go. I've seen some tickets going for £50 each on ebay and thats about as cheap as it gets.

amazingtrade, Mar 22, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

I looked on the MEN website the other day, apparently capacity is somewhere near 21000. I say go, but don't buy your ticket until the night. If you're going to pay a tout, then you might as well at least have evidence that the product is legit before you buy, and you won't spend any more that way.

ilockyer, Mar 22, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Since you'll be out with us in the daytime AT, I'd come along; talk to a tout; I need to change my ticket for standing, so we could possibly do a deal with one whereby we can punt money and a seating ticket for two standing?

Could be worth a shot :)

domfjbrown, Mar 23, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

Hiya that might be worth considering although to be honest I am not sure what your chances are of getting standing tickets. Also I would need two tickets as its my mate that mainly wants to go.

amazingtrade, Mar 23, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

The touts will have standing tickets... it's just a matter of what the price will be really. Should have thought no more than a tenner over face value max.

Mine and Ed's tickets arrived today! Nice horrid yellow colour.

ilockyer, Mar 24, 2004
  9. amazingtrade

Lodger

I share a dislike for touts with what I imagine is most of the folks here... but when you have "artists" such as Madonna charging £300 (face value!) for a ticket then WHO is ripping off WHO?Actually my pet hate is the Booking Fee... it is the least justified rip-off ever - period. Strictly speaking it is a legal grey area and I think the UK government should outlaw it. For example, I worked out that on every night that Madonna was playing at Earls Court during the Drowned World Tour (yes, I admit, I did go...) - Earls Court Olympia were making £80,000 on booking fees alone... for doing what? Nothing. The ticket sales were mostly sold through automated on-line facilities so they cannot argue that these charges justify ticket sales staff as no staff were involved in the transactions. Earls Court had already been paid for the hire of the hall by the artist, Earls Court were also standing to make a fortune on beverage sales every night. The other issue is that booking fees in concept were supposed to be a per-session fee - i.e. one fee irrespective of how many tickets you order during that telephone call... clearly this has been abused beyond belief also. What are your thoughts??

By the way I have a pair of spare tickets for Rush at Wembley Arena later this year....:JPS:

Lodger, Mar 29, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

if you buy the tickets from the venues box office in person and pay cash then you shouldnt pay any booking fees,but its not olny the booking fee there earning on,the artist is normally payed on the evening of the gig,so all the cash is sitting in the venues bank account,for anything up to a year, earing a fair bit of intrest for the venue,along with the refreshment consession and the 10-20% commesion on merchandise

themadhippy, Mar 29, 2004
  11. amazingtrade

What's wrong with that? I saw her there too - nice bandage on arm, due to a mistake with the sword the night before. Ouch.

Yeah - what the HELL is it with the booking fee? Total ripoff. Plus, places like Warnervillage and Odeon CHARGING for internet res's - they should give you a DISCOUNT since you're not forcing them to employ a member of staff to sell you one over the counter.

Don't even get me started on the cartels that ALL modern business have with BT for their godawful crappy "If you want x press 1, if you want y press 2" automated switchboards that get you locked in a loop, then stuck on hold for 2 years, or even worse, put you back on to a "ring ring" so you THINK you're not racking up your bill, but really, you are.

I tell you one thing - Aloud.com had better have sorted out their booking system for Thursday - it was bad enough trying to get Morrissey tickets (even then the system screwed up) let alone trying to get ones for the Glasters festival.

domfjbrown, Mar 30, 2004
  12. amazingtrade

Lodger

One thing I have noticed is that on-line agencies initially were not charging booking fees -at worse it was one fee per booking.. one of them thought they would start ripping us off and then the rest followed suit... I actually wrote to Aloud proclaiming what a bunch of swindlers they were - I got no reply and I have not been struck off their membership...hhmm. Incidentally Aloud have invented a further fee called an ADMIN fee (!!) oh and also an inflated postage charge for the delivery of the tickets. This is in addition to booking fees - now that is taking the f***ing piss. I used to use Aloud a lot more than I do now - I suggest we all boycot them until they see sense.
    Regards this country turning into a population hiding behind National Rate telephone numbers and Premium Rate telephone numbers - this is ANOTHER can of worms... WHY do we just lie down and take this scam?? I will tell you why - most of us who are here complaining about it are not of the CONDITIONED younger generation (i.e. the majority consumer) that have gone through their teens with mobile telephone in one hand, a MacDonalds in the other and an acceptance that its cool to pay someone £3 for a ring tone. The old values have been surgically removed from the young folks around us - not only are they incapabale of recognising good service - they are incapable of delivering it too (check out any counter at a high street nr you). The "cartel" of communications companies in this country (that includes media companies) have suceeded in creating a whole generation of people who spend money without any reasoning and have no ability to complain - the IDEAL CONSUMER!

Lodger, Mar 30, 2004
  13. amazingtrade

That's no good when they're the ONLY outlet for Glastonbury tickets :(

domfjbrown, Mar 30, 2004
  14. amazingtrade

Lodger

regards Glasto - Aloud have just sent me a message re change of ticket sales date (assuming you may have been preparing to take time off work/whatever in order to log-on as early as possible): on sale THURSDAY APRIL 1st FROM 8pm. I still hate Aloud though...:(

Lodger, Mar 30, 2004
  15. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

themadhippy, Mar 30, 2004
  16. amazingtrade

Aloud might be bad, but they're not as bad as Ticketbastard.

Ticket price (an extortion in itself these days)
    Handling Fee
    Service Charge
    Booking Fee
    Postal Charge

I think that's the most different charges I've had for buying one ticket... came to about 15/20% of the cost. If you shop around it's amazing how different tickets can cost, Stargreen in London are pretty awful, charge a couple of £ above face value as "face price", £4.85 postage, plus a booking fee... think they're about the worst. The bit that makes me laugh though is that Ticketweb are one of the most reasonable... and they're part of Ticketbastard and often sell exactly the same tickets with less fees involved and give the opportunity of venue pickup!

ilockyer, Mar 30, 2004
Ask a Question