Cambridge Audio azur 540 series

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Timmah, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Timmah

Timmah

Does anyone have any experience of the azur540a (Amp) and 540c (CD Player)?

I was going to go for the 640 series, but at £50 more a pop - its £100 saved, which to a 17 year old is quite a lot! Half way to the nice DAB tuner in the range.

I am pretty sure I'm going to buy this set-up, but wondered if anyone had any feedback they could make which would influence my decision.

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2004
    Timmah, Apr 11, 2004
  2. Timmah

Tebbs

My friend has had this combo since xmas (and is looking at getting the DAB now aswell) and loves it. Hes mostly a rocker and a bit of classical but it sounds great at either to me in the short time Ive spent listening to it and he says he cant fault it really. If anything the weak point in his system are his eltax floorstanding 120 quid speakers, it deserves better!

Tebbs, Apr 11, 2004
  3. Timmah

Timmah

Nice! Wel to start with I'm gonna have to use my Sony 80w (8ohm) old speakers (they're pretty meaty, but no Missions).

I'm unsure whether, after I have the CD player and Amp, whether to get new speakers or that DAB deck.

Pretty excited now.

I dont really want to spend a bomb on interconnects and cables, but what would be a sensible price to pay?

Timmah, Apr 11, 2004
  4. Timmah

Tebbs

Well the thing with richer is they do this nice lil thing where if you take in an old working midi/mini system and spend over 500 quid they give you a tonne back if you buy a complete set of amp cd and speaker. My mate bought the amp cdp and speakers and took in a ten year old midi and they also gave him 4 metres of free £4 a meter speaker cable and a £30pacific interconnect which is a nice lil cable. I spent about 1 ton less and got 50 quid for an old midi and they didnt give me much which I was a bit annoyed about really :eek: So push them hard and dont let off till they give you stuff.

Tebbs, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Timmah

Timmah

Hmmm I dont think I have much to trade in, and I'll be spending about £450ish on the 2 bits and some interconnects.

Getting it from Richer Sounds though. Should I get my parents to drive me to Wolverhampton (nearest store) or order it over the web?

Timmah, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Timmah

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

For that sort of system, a good speaker cable choice is Gale XL315. It walks all over Cable Talk 3 and QED original.

I/Cs.... £20-£30 will get whatever. They'll all sound pretty similar around that price as they'll all be copper with PVC or polyethylene insulation. A little more gets the VDH The Bay C5, which is reasonably regarded, or the makings for the (IMO overrated) DIY GWS silver i/c.

I-S, Apr 11, 2004
  7. Timmah

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Erm RS seem to want prefer people to go the stores my cynical mind says thats because they want to try and sell you more stuff. Just be careful about falling for the classic Richers Trap and coming out with £200 Gale speakers or somthing which are worth £50.

Having said this my local branch has improved dramatically over the last few months. For the first time in years I've actually found some bargains there.

amazingtrade, Apr 11, 2004
  8. Timmah

Tebbs

def go in to the stores. They will be bound to give you a free IC if you're spending that much.

Tebbs, Apr 11, 2004
Ask a Question