Cambridge Audio Azur 640C won't power on

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by cjm, Jul 24, 2006.

1. cjm

cjm

I've got the 640c player which will not power up when the wall socket is turned on. I've swapped out the power cable and checked (wiggled) connections to see that they seem ok and they do. The odd thing is that this problem happened a week or two back, then seemed to correct itself ie started to turn on into standby ok. Proof that the unit is in standby is a small blue LED coming on. Now, though it stays off, though, it did flicker slightly on one attempt to turn it on before it went out again.

Any ideas why this might be? I would be prepared to have a go opening the unit and testing/replacing a component if it's pretty clear what has gone wrong.

At the risk of providing too much info, my setup is the 640C linked to an ART DIO dac then to sugden A21a. The art dio dac is known to have problems losing the digital signal on CD change, possibly because of static build up and this can be remedied (sometimes) by switching the CD player off and on or (fullproof) unplugging and replugging in the DAC. I mention this setup as, till I added the sugden recently to the setup, the DAC didn't lose the digital lock too much and I had no problems with the cd player. Since adding the sugden, I lose the digital lock about 50 to 75% of the time and so I try turning the player on and off first -maybe ejecting the cd too - before unplugging the dac if need be. When I unplug the DAC, you can actually hear the static disappearing as a weird noise through the speakers.

So, I wondered if my unusual setup could have contributed to the problem ie frequent turning on and off, static build up in DAC, very high gain in DAC interacting with the sugden somehow. As I say, I wonder this as the problem got a lot worse when I added the sugden to the chain.

Any thoughts of an easy solution by changing a component or suchlike. Just ignore the extra stuff about my setup if it's just a red herring.

Cheers

Chris

cjm, Jul 24, 2006
  2. cjm

spev

is it still under warranty?

spev, Jul 24, 2006
  3. cjm

cjm

no spev. I bought it second hand.

cjm, Jul 24, 2006
  4. cjm

cjm

problem solved. It's amazing what you can solve by opening up a cd player and checking connections are secure. Turned out that one connection plugged to a circuit board had worked a bit loose.

:))

Now I can listen to my system again:D

cjm, Jul 24, 2006
  5. cjm

zanash

Great ...welll done

zanash, Jul 25, 2006
Ask a Question