Cambridge Audo Dacmagic

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Apr 8, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've just bought one of these for £30 from Richers, however it has no co-axial digital inputs, it only has optical.

I itended to sell it on ebay and make a small profit but I've just realised it probably won't go for any more than £30 anyway.

Have I been done?

amazingtrade, Apr 8, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

voodoo OdD

I picked up a DacMagic 2 and a Cambridge Audio Transport for £95 out of Crack Convertors, in Brighton, for a mate.

£30 would probably be about right but given some of the muppets on eBay it may be worth a punt ;).

voodoo, Apr 8, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

Yeah I will do, I just don't like the idea of not being able to test it, I don't have any optical leads and they seem very expensive. Maplin are charging £10 for their cheapest.

I've just cleaned it up and its in brand new condition now so at least thats a bonus.

4. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

DACmagics go for more than that.

However, if it only has optical inputs, is it perhaps an ISOmagic?

I-S, Apr 8, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

funkyboogalooo

quick tip. Find out how much to post it (cheapest way) then put £5.00 on top for your postage and packing costs on ebay. You can at least then claw a fiver back.
    hth
    Mike

funkyboogalooo, Apr 8, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

I've had a look at it from inside out, the manfuctuer date is 1995. It was designed by Pink Triangle. It has 3 transformers but the components used inside look quite cheap, it has loads of output capacitors but they are all commercial standard ones.

The exact model is Discmagic I.

I'm thinking of asking £15 for postage which would be insured, the item is very heavy due its metal chasis.

7. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

OK enough of the hints trade!

HOw much do you want for it delivered? It might tide me over until I can get a DAC I want.

Why was it for sales in Richers, would I be likely to find one in Richers Watford? There website dosn't mention it.

garyi, Apr 8, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The Discmagic is a transport.

:confused:

I-S, Apr 8, 2004
  9. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Eh?

I thought it was a DAC magic.

garyi, Apr 8, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

It is a dac magic, its just me getting mixed up. I'm not sure how much the postage will be but the item is quite heavy so it won;t be cheap. I would need to get the weight and then check the parcel force rates. I was hoping to make a bit of profit on it though to be honest so it wouldn't be that cheap. I'll sell it for £45 plus the exact postage charge, I will get this before hand but I would imagine it would be £10 max.

It may well be worth visiting your local RS, they have loads of ex warehouse open box stuff they are selling off very cheaply. Some of it is RS own stuff which dosn't work out that cheap but I've noticed some bargains there too. None of its advertised as the stock is store specific.

11. amazingtrade

zanash

Its normally very easy to fit a coax input .......drill a hole fit the RCA and maybe a swich and connect to the digital input after the tos link socket . Rarely you may need to add a resistor. £3 worth of part and ten minutes with a soldering Iron could gain a lot of dosh.

zanash, Apr 9, 2004
  12. amazingtrade

yeah the problem is I am a hopless solder, how do you know where to connect the actual co-axial sockets to? Because there must be some part of the current circuit that would need shorting?

I guess its the part that converts the light into a volting that needs shorting out.

amazingtrade, Apr 9, 2004
  13. amazingtrade

zanash

No .....the digital sig path wire connects to the centre pin of the socket and the ground to the digital ground . Easily IDed from the toslink. infact they are in parallel . Or so my service manual for a sony minidisc player .....this shows it running both toslink and RCA in and outputs.

zanash, Apr 9, 2004
Ask a Question