Camcorders - DV/DVD (am I taking the p*ss?)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by greg, Jul 8, 2004.

1. greg

greg Its a G thing

Esteemed brethren - off topic slightly :eek:

Has anyone any solid rec's warnings regards camcorders and related technology. I need to get a new camcorder asap - budget <£800.

Key concerns: battery life, ease of use, future proofing... Are DVD recorders the future? any opinions (based on experience ;) appreciated.
    G

greg, Jul 8, 2004
  2. greg

greg Its a G thing

I realise this is off topic - but no replies at all? If we can produce 82 pages on complete randomness surely a couple of replies wouldnt hurt... ;)

greg, Jul 8, 2004
  3. greg

Tom

There are some nice DV camcorders in the John Lewis sale this week, i was looking myself the other day. Unfortunately i don't own one so can't recommend anything specific.

Tom, Jul 8, 2004
  4. greg

Tenson Moderator

I got a new camcorder a few months ago...

I went for a miniDV based one because for one they are cheaper, but also the media is more widely available and again cheaper. Its still digital so the quality is no different and you can always put in on a dvd from the computer via a fire-wire link.

I do not know this.. but I would suspect the miniDV ones are probably slightly higher quality or last longer for each tape compared to the dvd ones. The reason being that a miniDV tape takes about 5gig of raw avi file and those DVD ones use the half size discs don't they, so I don't see how they could fit the same amount of time without using compression of some sort.

I got a Canon MV530i but there is a newer model now I think the 630i.. They cost about £500 IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2004
    Tenson, Jul 8, 2004
  5. greg

michaelab desafinado

Mate of mine got a Canon MV something or other miniDV recorder not long ago and he thinks it's the dogs undercarriage.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 8, 2004
  6. greg

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Hard disc technology is the future of cameras/camcorders. Starting at 2.5Gb and 5Gb, much smaller (1" form factor) and will talk to your PC much better.

Coming soon to a store near you.

lAmBoY, Jul 8, 2004
  7. greg

greg Its a G thing

Thanks chaps. Its one of those subjects that I thought I had an opinion about until, well, I thought about it. Certainly HD based recording using the IBM microdrives makes the most sense, but I need a machine before my youngest offspring gets much older.

greg, Jul 8, 2004
  8. greg

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Greg,

Going through the same deliberations. My theory is that unless you want to get into editing the movies on your PC (and in all honesty most people do it once or twice then get bored and I would need a new PC) the DVD ones are the best solution because the discs are small so storage is easy, they are going to get cheap, and they are the easiest form factor to share especially with the doting grandparents (possibly the most important point imho) since they play on standard DVD players straight from the camera.

I think we are now at second or third gen so price erosion should have started to slow a bit. I was hoping to find one with a 3MPixel min. stills mode then I wouldn't need the stills camera as well but I don't think they have been launched yet.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Jul 9, 2004
  9. greg

analoguekid Planet Rush

I too can vouch for the cannon MV I have older one 530i and it was the most comfortable to use others have extra features etc but you never use them, tried one of the smaller more oblong onees and wass very uncomfortable to hold, cannon MV's fit well in the hand and record stat/stop falls directly where your thumb is, IMHO they are all pretty decent for home use, Mini DV is pretty good if you have powerfull comp and dvd writer, but get the one that feels the most intuitive in your hand.

AK

analoguekid, Jul 9, 2004
  10. greg

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

IBM!? :chunder: Seagate is the way to go. You dont want all that old technology rubbish. Micrdrive shmicrodrive.
    Proper small form factor hard drives are where cameras/camcorders are heading - You want removable media? Hows 5Gb of superfast battery friendly ATA supporting lovliness grab ya. Yah Seagate.

Disclaimer: I do have a vested interest to say that:)

lAmBoY, Jul 9, 2004
  11. greg

greg Its a G thing

Surely not! Seagate? Are they still in business? ;)

greg, Jul 9, 2004
  12. greg

joel Shaman of Signals

5GB is not very much. MiniDV requires 3.14Mb/s and is by no means a high resoution format.
    Low cost professional and semi-professional HD will, I suspect, filter down to the consumer in due course.
    MiniDV tape is far cheaper on a per-minute basis than any HD solution is ever going to be, and tape also provides a convenient and simple archival solution :D
    If I was buying now, I'd still go with miniDV. Best choice, best compatability both hardware, and software (FCP, Vegas, Premiere, even Avid XPress).

joel, Jul 10, 2004
Ask a Question