Can a novice do DIY replace caps etc

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Decca, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Decca

Decca

It has been well over 20 years since I last touched a soldering iron. It seems that in the subsequent years I have forgotten everything that I knew (which was basic at best).

I wish to modify my Panasonic DVDS75 DVD player and Sony DB1070 AV amp. My plan is to change the capacitors in both power supplies, following previous recommendations in this forum. Whilst mosts of the caps seem to be straightforward to change I cannot find a decent 22 and 10uf at 450 volts. As these are physically next to the very small transformer I am assuming these are the smoothing caps?

As for diodes, I have read that it is now popular to swap for better Sholkty (sp?). How do I determine which ones to change and their values. If by asking these questions, I show my complete ignorance and therefore should not attempt any changes - please let me know.

One curious side note, a fair number of the caps in the Panasonic are made by Rubycom, aren't these the same folk as Black Gates, so why would presumably good quality caps be found in a £120 DVD player.

I also searched for the quartz clock, but could not find anything with values with looked like Mhz values aside from one which had D368D3BC stamped on it.

Steven

Decca, Jan 11, 2004
  2. Decca

Lord .

good old Maplin do little 'projects' whic are basically a bag of bits which you solder together, insert a battery, check it works and throw away - total cost about £6 including reusable battery and guaranteed to remind you of your soldering technique.
    Regarding parts... they are all out there somewhere :JOEL:

Lord, Jan 16, 2004
  3. Decca

Lt Cdr Data om

I wouldn't really if you are inexperienced, now caus I learned the hard way myself.
    These jap things use pcbs, which whilst reliable, do not lend themselves to diy, and it is really easy to overheat, and the tracks will lift off rendering it virtually useless.

Why 450v? usually these are fairly low volts.....the dvd may have a switch mode psu which I do not know much about....

yes rubycon do the black gates, they have a large line of caps, ranging from cheapish to obscene, depending who you buy from!!
    probably all ok tho.

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Decca

Decca

Thanks for the help. I will practise on my old Wharfedale DVD 750 and I have a cheap and nasty AV amp somewhere, that way if I screw up I have not lost anything. I have also found some basic electronic help or tutorial sites which I will start to work through.

This is all like the maths I did at college. I know I could do it was I was 16 but 99% of the knowledge has slipped away somewhere.

I will rebuild my skills and knowledge before trying to do anything to the equipment I use.

Decca, Jan 20, 2004
Ask a Question