can anyone suggest a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Hodgesaargh, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Hodgesaargh

Hodgesaargh

I'm looking for a pre to use with my AVI S2000MA power amp. Second hand up to £300 tops.

Hodgesaargh, Jun 2, 2006
  2. Hodgesaargh

dean.l

I have a musical fidelity preamp 3b I payed £140 in perfect condition, the sound is very good with a wide range of amps, but I doubt you will find one, when I google it comes up with my signature from this forum at the top of the page. :confused:

what do you need out of the pre ?
    mm/mc stage ?
    passive ?
    is the stuff you use all line level?

dean.l, Jun 2, 2006
  3. Hodgesaargh

Hodgesaargh

I have a turntable, and a headphone socket would be nice.

Hodgesaargh, Jun 2, 2006
  4. Hodgesaargh

dean.l

Linn Kairn ?
    maybe if you are lucky, but I think closer to £450

or EAR 834L maybe again if you are lucky. (line only so you would need a phono amp too)

or linn lk1 should be well under budget.

I have read good reviews of all these.

no headphone out though.

dean.l, Jun 2, 2006
  5. Hodgesaargh

dean.l

just found this review

Review 4 of 11
    Price Paid: $400.00

Summary:
    I was initially very impressed with the RC-972 - the remote is very effective as it works from just about any angle and even behind the unit! After a burn-in period, I sat down to have a serious listen. After about half an hour I started to get annoyed as the left channel seemed constantly louder than the right. This effect was quite marked. I switched the power amp for a velleman one which I had previously built to see if the power amp was unbalanced. Unfortunately it was the RC972. Using a signal generator and test meter, I measured the gain at various volumes between the channels. My theory was correct, at low volumes, the left channel was 13% louder than the right, and they only balaced out when turned up quite a lot.
    With the new power amp the effect was less noticable and is now bearable. When tested against a Musical Fidelity 3B preamp (through some quad ESLs) the Rotel seemed to lack a vibrance and realness which the Musical Fid had. In fact the Musical Fid made the music alive and exciting. The rotel was not far behind though, but the treble needed to be adjusted to get it the same. The other noticable effect was the channel separation - the musical fid was much better as the rotel seemed to slightly merge left and right. In summary, a very good piece of kit, let down by balance problems. (This might just be a particular fault with this machine).

Strengths:
    Motorised Pot and Remote control, rich warm sound.

Weaknesses:
    balance problem, channel separation, lack of "excitement"

Similar Products Used:
    Musical Fidelity Preamp 3B

Report this review >>

have a look on ebay etc

or try the rotel the one the bloke in the review had may have been broken, there are some other good reviews.
    no phono stage though, but it has the headphone socket, you could probably buy a half decent phono stage as well for under £300 for both.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/preamplifiers/rotel/PRD_118380_1591crx.aspx

dean.l, Jun 2, 2006
  6. Hodgesaargh

nando nando

hi, i have a musical fidelity x-pre v3 mm. mc. brand new unopened full warranty 2 years, wicth i am looking for £325.00, super pre-amp as i have listened to my friends one with a tube tecnology unisis power, and his linn deck, sounds very good, if you are interested let me know,regards, nando:)

nando, Jun 2, 2006
  7. Hodgesaargh

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

Shadow Audio Consultants recently had a used EAR 834L for £350.

Nomoretweaks, Jun 2, 2006
  8. Hodgesaargh

Murphydog

I have the AVI pre that matches your power amp for sale. £200
    which is what I paid a year ago. I've used it with Naim and Meridian and it sounds great.
    Paul

Murphydog, Jun 2, 2006
Ask a Question