Capacitor replacement on my Linn equipment?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by mjp200581, Nov 15, 2013.

1. mjp200581

felix part-time Horta

Tants like that can be *much* longer lived, because the bead type is dry internally - no electrolyte to leak once formed. And since they usually have significant ESR in the first place - an ohm or two - they only got used where that aspect was negigible or useful in the first place (such as around 3pin voltage regs, or as coupling caps); so aging doesn't really make things go badly awry.

Replace them if you like but it's optional imo. And when tants fail, they usu. go with a very obvious pop ;) I think it unilkely you have a few unknown dead ones in there.

('Wet' tants are far bulkier and if they leaked, you'd know about it from pcb damage - they are in brass cases because the electrolyte is sulphuric acid... nice low esr while they last - which is decades - but expensive and frankly, do nothing a film cap cannot do better)

felix, Mar 7, 2014
  2. mjp200581

mjp200581

Many thanks for the advice.

It sounds like I certainly don't need to be in rush to replace those Tant beads then. If I have the Kairn apart again I might take the opportunity to replace them but I'm not going to dismantle it again just for that.

I haven't replaced the three big smoothing caps either. I did take the 22,000uF cap of the board to measure the ESR and capacitance and all seemed fine. I didn't remove the two 33,000uF caps as my capacitor tester doesn't go that high. (I don't think it does but I'm doubting myself as I write this).

The other factor is that I couldn't find any decent replacements. The 5 pole termination combined with the size restriction limits the choice somewhat. I can find Panasonic caps which would fit but they don't look anything special so I'm reluctant the ditch the BHC caps for replacements which may not be as good.

mjp200581, Mar 10, 2014
Ask a Question