Capacitors in Krell amps - anyone know what is in there?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by larkrise, Jun 5, 2007.

1. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Not intending to do this myself but intend to have my Krell KSA250 recapped and serviced - anyone know what caps are in there or reccomend any super dooper ones as the job is not being done by absolute sounds due to a quote so ridiculous - via a dealer - I never stopped - sorry, started laughing.

larkrise, Jun 5, 2007
  2. larkrise

felix part-time Horta

Whip the top off and have a look at the markings on the big beer cans and smaller caps. The reservoir caps will be marked something like 22000uF / 100V (for example), the others will have smaller values. Make a list and go research what you need, based on replacing parts like for like on these values.

New parts are likely to be physically smaller for the same capacitance/voltage rating. They'll also have lower ESR/ESL values (a good thing technically) You may find the reservoir caps have unusually high voltage ratings, eg 100V, which might make them pricey, or difficult to source in th capcity required. but even so they're unlikely to run to more than £15 or so each at Farnell, RS or similar.

felix, Jun 5, 2007
Ask a Question