Cape Town

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Jun 26, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi. I'm looking to make my way over to Cape Town sometime this year :lonerange: Still only early planning stages though :knight:

It all depends on how long takes me to save up. Guess i'll have to just get my ass into work MOre :whip:

Has anyone been there? I'm after general information about when best to go as far as price, weather, and particular events. I imagine it's reasonably hot all year round, but being the pasty wee Scot's lad i am don't want it too scorchio :micro:

Places and things to visit, see, do and stay?

Also any idea how vegetarian friendly it is over there?

Cheers MO

p.s yes this was worded around the smilies :D :beer: :elephant:

MO!, Jun 26, 2003
  2. MO!

mick parry stroppy old git

Capetown

Mo

We stayed a few days in Capetown last year.

Your first impression will be how cheap everything is and also you have to get used to the poverty.

We stayed at a luxury Hotel, the Cellar's which is about the best one there and is 9 miles south. I think a double room for 3 nights was £700.00 for B & B. You can find a a lot cheaper in the center, £40 pn is a good level.

You will need a car.

Places to visit are the Tabletop, the Waterfront for shopping and restaurants. There is lots of small towns, Fishoek was good, Simonstown, and Capehope. The garden route is beautiful and the coastline is breadthtaking.

You have to be careful where you go, restrict yourself to the tourist areas and be prepared to pay the local thug about 30p to look after your car. You would be foolish to walk around the town center later at night, but the waterfront is very secure.

The temperature is cool in winter (our summer months) and hot in summer. It is relatively mediteranean in climate.

The social climate is changing for the worst, the whites are trying to hang on to their priveledged position but are being financially squeesed out. The Black population are assuming power but are still relatively unqualified to run a country so it is sliding downhill.

Crime is endemic. During the 3 weeks we spent there we had

1. A murder in the hotel whilst we were having dinner.

2. 3 muggings

It is safe providing you act sensibly but the social unrest does spoil a good holiday

I would spend a few days in Capetown and then fly up to the Kruger which is safer and where the wild life is fantastic.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jun 26, 2003
  3. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

julian2002, Jun 26, 2003
  4. MO!

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Fab place, just be careful, suggest looking at a net version of the Travelers guide, all the places/to go do/eat sleep/surf and veiw the totty, one down side NO LED's (blue one especialy) :)

wadia-miester, Jun 26, 2003
  5. MO!

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Ditto on the Kruger reccomendation.

I had part of my honeymoon at the Leopard Hills Lodge in Kruger Nat Park. (very close to Richard Bransons place).

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

With the rand at around 12 to the £1 your money should strecth quite nicely.

Have fun //lamboy

lAmBoY, Jun 26, 2003
  6. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Thanks for the replies :D

One problem I see...... Neither myself or my girlfriend drive :rolleyes:

Any experience with local transport? I'm aware of the "taxi wars" In Johan' but have always been informed that Cape Town is relatively "safe"

Also, am I right in thinking that the kruger is to the north? flying distance? Or easy enough to get train/bus etc?

Cheers :D

MO!, Jun 26, 2003
Ask a Question