Caravan holiday in wales - What else to do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jun 1, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

There is a slight chance I have access to a cheap static caravan in Anglesey, I am not sure yet though.

We will be able to stay there for a week (me and my mate) and we will go in his 1992 90K Fiesta (I am slightly worried about this aspect but as far as I can tell the engine is as good as new).

We are both to old for all the usual blackpool clubbing lark, we now prefer a decent pub which this place has. While we are they are probably will get the ferry over to Dublin to have two nights on the good old piss up.

We were also thinking of going to Cardiff while we are there and staying there, but I am right in thinking that this is miles away from Anglesey?

This is probably the only chance of getting a holiday this year without selling Henry (my HIFI system).

amazingtrade, Jun 1, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

Heavymental

Those 5 pints of Strongbow have not dimmed your judgement AT! I can confrim Cardiff is in the same country as Anglesea but that doesn't make it close I'm afraid.
    I thought you were going to Europe backpacking!? Get a cheap flight from Manchester and hitch home. Cheap as chips. It will be money better spent than a trip to Anglesea!

Heavymental, Jun 1, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Any sheep nearby?

Bob

Bob McC, Jun 1, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

Bob this is Wales, Wales has more sheep than people. But due to some law sadly I cannot engage with activities involving sheep. I am sure that plenty of farmers have in the past, or is that just urban myth?

I just think this will be a nice change, Dublin is just 1.5 hours away and its just a break from cities.

5. amazingtrade

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

If you want something exciting to do go and climb on the cliffs at Gogarth near Holyhead..
    I've spent many a scary hour in some wave-battered zawn there.. Particularly recommend "A Dream of White Horses" as a classic not to difficult route that's out there.. However, if you've never climbed go to Plas Y Brenin in Capel Curig and learn...
    Otherwise you've got the joy of walking in Snowdonia (Tryfan's my favourite mountain), or looking at the ancient copper mine and beam engine at Amlwch (was on Fred Dibnah..), or there's always the DUKW ride round puffin island from Benlech..
    Or there's fighting with bevvied-up sailors in Holyhead, or there's always the wellies'n'sheep tango!

leonard smalls, Jun 1, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

Its Benlech where this carravan is, there is some decent pubs there and the low lights of that world renowned party town Bangor is near by.

Walks in snowdonia sound like a good idea, they are some truely wonderful mountains. We will also be staying two nights in Dublin to kill the time.

7. amazingtrade

[Grandma sucking eggs mode]If you're walking in Snowdonia take decent waterproofs and a map, and a torch..[/Grandma sucking eggs mode]

I only say cos I've had to lead quite a few appallingly prepared people off both the Carneddau and the Glyders in bad weather, and rescue someone from the cliffs above Idwal..

leonard smalls, Jun 1, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

Graham C

Dublin is very expensive to drink in. Overrated IMO. Smaller Irish towns are probably better.

Lemmy was from Colwyn Bay, so it can't be all bad

Graham C, Jun 1, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

Will The Lucky One

I thought Lemmy was from Corby? :confused: I could well be wrong...

North Wales is nice, plenty of walks, plenty of nice rural pubs. If you want a good night out in North Wales out though I fear you'll be disappointed, not really much up there. Swansea and Cardiff are good but the wrong end of Wales :D you could go to Aberystwyth I suppose, as a student there I can confirm it has a pretty good nightlife considering the size of the place - indeed at one time it boasted more pubs per square mile than anywhere else in the UK.

Will, Jun 2, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

It's the Alarm who were from Colwyn Bay...
    And there's definitely nightlife in Bangor, wot with it being a student town - that's only 5 or 10 miles from Benllech.

leonard smalls, Jun 2, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

I popped down ot Ireland on sunday was dismayed to find that most of them were for sale due to the smoking ban...sigh...

my girlfriend and I drove down from Northern Ireland...beautiful place tho

mr cat, Jun 2, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

Certainly in Dublin all the pubs seemed very busy when I went the smoking ban didn't really seem to have any effect on trade from what I could tell.

Yep Bangor does have some night life, its not a patch on the big cities but for a change its ok. Benlech itself has a very good pub, as it has the Benlech Arms as a free juke box we would spend all day in there. We never got so drunk that sheep were attractive though.

amazingtrade, Jun 2, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

narabdela

Got to agree. The prices are criminal, and you have to fight your way into the pubs through the crowds standing outside smoking!

narabdela, Jun 4, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

I liked Dublin though, I know its expensive but it didn't seem that much dearer than Manchester, yes its 5 euros a pint, but I pay £2.50 a pint in Manchester.

The only city I have found drinks to be very expensive is Paris. You can pay £6 a bottle there, now that is shocking.

amazingtrade, Jun 4, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

AT - why not stuff a couple of bikes in the back of the car.

It will get you out and about the place while you're there.

Im imagining the countryside is good there?

bottleneck, Jun 4, 2005
  16. amazingtrade

Hehe that would be great but neither us own bikes anymore, and its an old K reg Fiesta so its not a big car.

Yeah the countryside is very good especialy when you get into Snowdonia I haven't got any digital pictures of it but it must be one of the most lovely parts of the UK.

This is the kind of thing though. The picture is of Snowdonia.

[​IMG]

amazingtrade, Jun 4, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

Looks like Y Garn on the left, with Llyn Idwal in front of it and the A5 is the road on the right.. Probably taken from the top of Tryfan.
    There's a fine easy scramble up the obvious ridge on the right, descending by going over the mountain and continuing down via the Devils Staircase, if you want a more difficult one (i.e with a rope) try the left hand (NE) ridge..
    Otherwise Tryfan provides a classic grade 1 scramble (if you take the easiest way)..

Any of them will make you feel you've deserved your evening in the pub!

But don't expect much of a welcome in Bethesda.. We went in the pub there once, and it was a bit like The Slaughtered Lamb in American Werewolf..

leonard smalls, Jun 5, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

hehe so I am assuming those Welsh don't like the English then? At least where we're staying is quite tourist friendly.

amazingtrade, Jun 5, 2005
  19. amazingtrade

Bethesda was always a bit "local"...
    We were made to feel most unwelcome - food in the pub was a packet of crisps. And the beer was rubbish. And most folks there seem to be rather too closely related, bit like in the Forest of Dean..
    Rest of Snowdonia's fine though - can recommend the Tyn y Coed in Capel Curig, decent lively pub with good (rock) jukebox and an interesting mix of ramblers, climbers and bikers..
    And if you want really good food, try Beddgelert Antiques (in Beddgelert, funnily enough). You can even buy a Lady Di mug while you eat your wild boar steak..
    And if you can eat a Big Jim breakfast at Pete's Eats in Llanberis you'll be a greedier man than me (and I do like me dinner!)..
    But steer a bit clear of Betws y Coed as it's a prime old folks coach tour holiday destination!

leonard smalls, Jun 5, 2005
  20. amazingtrade

T-bone Sanchez

As already said Snowdon isnt for the inexperienced going it alone. Every time we go up Im amazed at the number of people who ask us where they are on their map! That aside if you like that sort of thing theres loads to do around that area. A personal fave of mine is a trip to bardsey island plus theres loads of coastal walks, cove, little bays etc. I stay at my uncles place in griccieth which is a lovely little place when quiet. Oh and theres some fine roads, pity about the car!

T-bone Sanchez, Jun 6, 2005
Ask a Question