Cardas Neutral Reference vs. Golden Reference: is there a difference worth dying for?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bart, Jul 18, 2004.

1. bart

bart

Hi,
    I've recently come across a real bargain: a second-hand Cardas Golden Reference (their top model) for as much as $1000. The problem is I can't borrow the cable to have it auditioned in my system: it's either take it or leave it. I've been using Cardas Neutral Reference for about two years now and it makes a huge difference compared to my previous inteconnect, VdH The First Ultimate.
    I'm wondering whether Golden Reference would be another milestone in upgrading my system, or is the difference between Golden and Neutral barely audible? Has anybody compared the two? I'd be much obliged for any helpul comments on that.

bart, Jul 18, 2004
  2. bart

analoguekid Planet Rush

If it's such a bargain you shouldn't have much trouble selling it on if you didn't think there was much difference, I would have thought.

analoguekid, Jul 18, 2004
  3. bart

bart

Still, investing a thousand bucks in a cable and then trying to recover the money (or at least some part of it) is a painstaking business.

bart, Jul 18, 2004
  4. bart

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Bart,

Your 1st post isn't clear, are you saying that a Golden Reference normally costs around $1000, but you've been offered one considerably cheaper?

Pricewise, a 0.5m pair normally go for about $350/400 secondhand so if the one you've been offered is considerably less, then you'd probably recoup your money, otherwise ....

Yes I've used both. The Golden is a fuller sound than the neutral, and so really it's going to depend on the rest of your system. Though the difference is hardly night and day.

Personally if you like the Cardas sound which is the antithesis of the Nordost style of sound, then you'd be foolish not to try the Audience AU24. I settled on those, having tried all sorts, including Golden Reference and Valhalla.

Rgds
    JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Jul 18, 2004
  5. bart

bart

Sorry if my initial post was unclear. In fact, I was offered a 1.0m pair for $1000 which I thought was a bargain as the Cardas authorised dealer in Poland wants twice as much for a brand new pair of Golden Reference. Yet I see I can lay my hands on it at even better price :))

bart, Jul 18, 2004
Ask a Question