Carlo Maria Giulini 1914-2005

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by alanbeeb, Jun 15, 2005.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Just saw this news on another forum. A truly great conductor, I never guessed that he was in his nineties.

His Bruckner 9 with the VPO is one of the greatest recordings of anything ever, alongside Carlos Kleiber's Brahms 4.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2369255.stm

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2005
    alanbeeb, Jun 15, 2005
  2. alanbeeb

lordsummit moderate mod

One of the great opera conductors, some of his recordings of Italian opera are justifiably legendary.

lordsummit, Jun 15, 2005
  3. alanbeeb

McLogan

I have recently been listening back and forth amongst various modern "Don Carlos" (or "Carlo") recordings and have found none totally satisfying. So I went back to the 1970 Giulini version and solved my problems. The same applies to Trovatore and Falla's El amor Brujo (1961/4). The Bruckner and Mahler symphonies have long been close to the top of my preferences. Giulini did everything with dignity as far as the composer's intwentions were concerned, but fire and passion were supplied when required. His recorded legacy will survive.

McLogan, Jun 16, 2005
  4. alanbeeb

cocytus

I would go so far as to say that all of his opera recordings are unforgettable. It is such a pity that he never really touched the non-Italian repertoire. :( A Giulini 'Tristan' or 'Parsifal' recording would have been a searing experience. R.I.P.

cocytus, Jun 18, 2005
  5. alanbeeb

narabdela

Just been listening to his 1980 "Rigoletto" on DGG.

Sublime.

narabdela, Jun 18, 2005
  6. alanbeeb

titian

Since nearly 30 years I always found in Giullini's interpretations (not Operas) something very attracting even if I was not able to enjoy them all. Only far later I started to enjoy them completely. Now I wouldn't like to miss a recording of his.

titian, Jun 26, 2005
Ask a Question