Cars again - MOT failed on two routine things but...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jan 17, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It needs a new pair of shocks and an rear and middle sections of the exhaust, both things are quite simple and routine MOT failure items, but I reckon it will cost around £300 to put right.

There is speed bumps everywhere so its hardly surprising a shock has failed after 82,000 miles, however the exhaust was replaced 1.5 years ago. I think it must be the stop start journeys (my dad rarely has to drive outside of south Manchester) which is probably expanding and shrinking the exhaust as it heats and cools down.

Edit they have givin my dad a price now £250 which I suppose is not bad since its the only money we have spend on it since last MOT (my uncle did the servicing).

My mate still dosn't realise cars need fixing his budgeted for the insurance and petrol but not the frequent garage trips a small £1000 car will probably need.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
    amazingtrade, Jan 17, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

felix part-time Horta

FWIW it is the short journeys, but damage is not due to expansion but water vapour.

You get > 2 gallons of water vapour from each gallon of fuel burnt. When the exhaust is cold this condenses inside - ever seen drips from the exhausts of cars in traffic in the morning? Unfortunately there are trace quantities of nitric and sulphuric acids produced as byproducts as well, which get dissolved in the water. If the car doesn't get hot enough to dry the pipe out all the way through, it collects. Instant rust from the inside is the result. :(

felix, Jan 17, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Got it back at 3:00, the car can now go over speed bumps and you can hardly notice it, before the car bounced all over the place at the sight of a pot whole. The engine is also silent you can only just about hearing it when its ideling and it dosn't vibrate or anything. Not bad for a 81k car worth £850.

amazingtrade, Jan 17, 2005
Ask a Question