Cartridge for Project RPM6

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Donut, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Donut

Donut

I've just ordered a Project RPM6 (which is coming with a "basic" ortofon cartridge) and I'm after ideas for a good cartridge for it preferably around the £50 mark but could go upto £100. (I know many reviews have suggested using much more expensive carts but I can't afford any more at the moment - and also I'm not sure what the limitations of mu X-LPS would be.

This will mean that my system is "finished" apart form the inevitable cable and future cartridge tweaking!!!;)

Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Sep 29, 2003
  2. Donut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Are u buying the deck new?

Ortofohn are distributed with Project, so if you buy a project deck you can get a cheap orto' cart of your choice with it.

I would ask the dealer how much to upgrade the orto cart to a better one.

If cash is tight I was very happy with my old Mc15 super II (medium/low output MC.. if you have a MC phono stage?) The cart was about £130 new, so I doubt it would cost more than your £50 to get them to update the cart to one of these.

Thems is my suggestions.

bottleneck, Sep 29, 2003
  3. Donut

Donut

Thanks for the reply bottleneck. I have no idea what the cartridge is as the deck was a bit of a bargain (£395 new!) I spoke to the supplier about the cartidge and was told it was a basic ortofon that retailed at about £25 and if I wanted more information I'd need to talk to someone in the "technical" department. I may have to do this just to find out what it is.

The supplier is not a Project dealer so I don't thjink they'll opgrade the cart for me.

Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Donut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I bet they'd give you a trade in on the cart tho! - I betcha.

:)

ask em what they'd ask for to upgrade the cart to... say...

orto MC15 super II
    goldring 1042
    dynavector 10x5

they may have one of the others on a demo deck?

or...

worse case scenario I know Ian (sideshowbob) knows a bloke in Germany for cheap ortofohns

I still reckon they'd trade the existing cart in against a better one for you though..... this has got to be the best option - its worth practically zip second hand.

NB Congrats on your posh new deck :D you must be looking forward to it.

bottleneck, Sep 29, 2003
Ask a Question