CAT5 speaker cable thread gone?!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by condyk, Jul 12, 2003.

1. condyk

PBirkett VTEC Addict

YAY!!

Welcome to "Team Silver Anniversary" guys :MILD:

:D

PBirkett, Jul 18, 2003
  2. condyk

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I've not responded to this thread until now, but I'll make my comments...

1) FFRC is not the be all and all of speaker cables. Neither is it the be all and end all of budget speaker cables. HOWEVER, a properly made set is competitive with other cables in the budget bracket. See point 2

2) One of the big problems with some people saying "oh, it's rubbish" or whatever is that FFRC, unlike commercial cables, requires putting together. How it is put together and from what can make a large difference to the sound it produces. Some people have found my FFRC better than QED SA, others have not done. See point 3.

3) System matching is important with any cable, not just FFRC. If the cable doesn't match what the system will work well with then it will sound less good than something that matches better.

4) After my more extended testing I have found that IN MY SYSTEM and TO MY EARS, MY FFRC and ortofon SPK200 are very closely matched. In Dino's system I actually preferred the SPK200. I haven't made conclusions in my system yet because I'm doing some other tweaks and running the new clock in, which hopefully will make more of the differences between the cables.

5) Gale XL315 is a very good budget cable, and significantly better than others at the price and the more expensive Cable Talk 3.

Overall, although some may be very against it, I believe that properly constructed FFRC is a competitve cable, which will work well in some systems. The caveat is proper construction, as some people may have used less good (pvc insulated or even stranded) cat5, and not put the ends together properly (PB!), and not heard what proper FFRC can do.

I-S, Jul 18, 2003
  3. condyk

zanash

Intrestingly I agree, you need to think of how much FFRC cost to make [materialy]and compae with like priced cables.

There are very few cables that would be able to compete. But IMO FFRC is not as good as U-ByteII, which is not as good as my current DIY twisted enamelled copper [at about 1/10th the cost of FFRC in my system].

zanash, Jul 18, 2003
Ask a Question