CD lathe and BLACK CDRs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Dec 19, 2006.

1. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I once read that black CDR copies are better than the originals. Must be BLACK. For some while I have been meaning to try this, so I did today with very very interesting results. . . . basically it works. I got a pack of 100 black CDRs for £20 - should keep me going.

Anyone else care to give this a go and report in?

A black lathed CDR took the improvement even further. Maybe going mad - don't think so though - give it a go especially those in the Honorary Order of the Elite CD lathe Society Owners.

larkrise, Dec 19, 2006
  2. larkrise

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

What make are they ?
    I've been meaning to get some.

STELLABAGPUSS, Dec 19, 2006
  3. larkrise

Garmt

The brand is Memorex.

Garmt, Dec 20, 2006
  4. larkrise

melorib Lowrider

I have 2 black vinyl CDs, is it the same ?

I thought it wasnt worth lathing them, but I guess I will try now...

melorib, Dec 20, 2006
  5. larkrise

Lathing update - have now heard rumour that lathing both sides gets even better results - anyone tried this?

larkrise, Dec 20, 2006
  6. larkrise

Interesting, Where Did You Hear Than One From ?
    You Will Have To Get Zanash On The Case

STELLABAGPUSS, Dec 20, 2006
  7. larkrise

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I heard that using a fine cheese grater over the top of the CDs brings a worthwhile improvement.

garyi, Dec 20, 2006
  8. larkrise

I've heard that having a closed mind, wishing you had a big member, and not actually bothering to evaluate hi fi tweaks properly (like hearing them for yourself?) doesn't bring about any worthwhile improvement at all either!

1,692 posts eh, wow! - were they all about cheese?

larkrise, Dec 20, 2006
  9. larkrise

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I’m utterly amazed that the post by Tones, a person who tends to understand such things, on the original lathe thread has been overlooked / ignored by so many. To paraphrase Tones: if you hack the edge off a CD you stand a very good chance of exposing the contents to the atmosphere. If this happens the aluminium goodness within will oxidise over time and you will have a worthless unplayable CD, i.e. to lathe may be to buy twice.

I’ve seen many idiot products aimed at audiophiles in my time, but very few possibly capable of destroying an expensive music collection. Tread very carefully. One thing is certain - you won't be doing it to any of mine!

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 20, 2006
  10. larkrise

This is an interesting point - but the improvement in sound goes without question - really, at any rate to my ears - and others. However my way to go now is that I shall burn favourite Cds on to black CDR's and lathe them. original intact but have the benefit of sonic improvements on much loved music.

larkrise, Dec 20, 2006
  11. larkrise

melorib Lowrider

I guess lathing both sides would for sure expose the aluminum layer, and that doesnt sound like a good idea to me...

melorib, Dec 21, 2006
  12. larkrise

I agree and whilst the long term implication of this tweak is controversial i think I am going to do the CDR thing with black discs. It's claimed that CDRs aren't as good - however whilst always agreeing with this in the past I am now finding lathed CDRs are far better than the original CD. I am not hel bent on lathing everything - it'sa pity that CDs aren't designed with this bevel from manufacture. Anyhow - those CDs I play regularly will be lathed and transferred, I had another listen last night - and going back to the original unlathed on a Ry Cooder Film soundtrack was as though a net curtain had been dropped in front of the music. Cheese and sceptics aside - it does work!

larkrise, Dec 21, 2006
  13. larkrise

Garmt

I wonder if people who lathe their discs have ever tried the simple 'green edge around CD' as a comparison?

Garmt, Dec 21, 2006
  14. larkrise

Tim F

Do a search, the forum went over this about a year ago, I think CD cleaners and lathes were the answer in the end... hmm memory....

Green pen around the CD made no difference to me although people do swear by it, I bought two identical CD's and walking around with my eyes closed switched between them, thought I could tell a difference until I looked at my scores, both came our roughly the same.

Tim

Tim F, Dec 21, 2006
  15. larkrise

I Purchased A Green Pen Back In The Early 90's, Couldn't Hear A Difference, However I Recently Tried It Out Again, And Surprised That Was A Difference, All Be It A Small One.
    I Have Now Tested A Non Treated Cd-r V A Treated Cd-r On 4 People Now, None Of Them Are Into Hi-fi, All Of Them Described The Treated Cd-r As Sounding Clearer.
    May I Add This Was Done, Just To See If "job Public" Could Hear A Difference.

Correct Me If I Am Wrong, But I Believe That The Cd Lathe Only Shaves 0.2mm Off A Disc, Most Commercial Cd Have About 1 To 2mm To Play With.

One Thing Is For Sure, Once I Have The Funds Available, I Will Be Getting A Lathe. Yes Imo The Improvement Is That Good.

STELLABAGPUSS, Dec 21, 2006
  16. larkrise

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

...I've been saying this too; after having TEN PDO-manufactured CDs go rotten due to the bad lacquer used (all discs now replaced by PDO themselves), you'll not catch me anywhere near the lathe.

I've heard the difference, am convinced, but would rather have some music that won't go "off" than having to keep rebuying CDs ;)

domfjbrown, Dec 21, 2006
  17. larkrise

sideshowbob Trisha

Looks like the track-listing to a particularly bizarre compilation album (I'm sure "One Thing Is For Sure, Once I Have The Funds Available, I Will Be Getting A Lathe" is an old blues song). Either that or you've turned into nando.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 21, 2006
  18. larkrise

Yes, still trying to work on the lyrics for the Corus, Perhaps ...."Ooo, Arr you lovely lathe, Shave some plastic for me"

Of course "Nando" will be naturally producing the Song. Ha Ha

STELLABAGPUSS, Dec 21, 2006
  19. larkrise

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

it's amazing the difference your listeners have heard.

I've had 2 people round now, both struggled to tell the discs apart at all.

bottleneck, Dec 21, 2006
  20. larkrise

rollo

Just seems a pity thay for $18.98US for a new CD we have to shave,paint,fill in microscopic holes etc.The perfect fomat to replace vynl?HA!Why can't just do it right?What happened to pride in manf. Sony are you listening.
    rollo

rollo, Dec 21, 2006
Ask a Question