CD Players with TUBE output stage => Important link

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by tom123, Dec 7, 2003.

1. tom123

tom123

I forgot to mention, on the great site of TNT-audio magazine you can see a lot of reviews, from all kind off equipment

They have reviews from AFFORDABLE CD-players
    So check them out

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/sources.html

Suggestions, let me know

tom123, Dec 7, 2003
  2. tom123

tom123

tom123, Dec 7, 2003
  3. tom123

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tom, before posting the link, you should here one, along with the previous wonder tube players the shandling cdt100 & the Tobeje???, oh and the vincent all around the same money, all well, just listen and then repost :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2003
    wadia-miester, Dec 7, 2003
  4. tom123

penance Arrogant Cock

Re: the best under 1000 dollar

Have you listened to it?

penance, Dec 8, 2003
  5. tom123

michaelab desafinado

Tom,

Your posts so far look suspiciously like advertising. I don't know what your objective is but why all the posts about valve gear?

People here are pretty knowlegeable and if they want to know more about valve gear they'll ask for it. Just posting a bunch of links to about valve gear doesn't really help anyone and suggesting (above) that something is "the best tubed CD player under 1000 dollar" isn't very helpful either, especially if (as I suspect) you haven't even heard it or any of its competitors. Even if you had, some explanation of why, in your opinion, it is "the best" might be useful.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 8, 2003
  6. tom123

tom123

why valve gear?

Why valve gear?

Well I have heard a lot of valve amps with my local dealer.

He has build several amps with EL34, KT88 and so on, and so on.

The valve sound is smooth and liquid, bit it isn't always very fast and has difficulties to play complex music.

Well ok, why tube CD players??

Well, have you listen to CD players and a turntable with a valve amplifier, that is so plesant te hear, listen then to the cd player, the same song(but on CD), you can hear a harsness, a little on the cold side and not so delightfull as on a turntable with a tubed amp.

I havent heard a tubed CD player, but I heard tubed radio palyer, there less fatigue and better for longer listen.

I have heard a lot of valve amps, but I think the best is a sort of hybrid system, the pre-amp and source component valve and the amplifier high-quality solid state.
    With such a system you can play all the music you want, and that's in my opinion the main thing.

Why I give you the url of TNT audio, weel it's a NON-profit organisation, and it has a fair review, check their site, if the ewuipment is bad, they will name it and that's an important thing to me, I don't trust the magazines that review a honderd of things and they are all qualitty?!
    That's rubbisch, everybody knows

I give an additional comment later, know to school :-(

Bye

Say your opinion

tom123, Dec 8, 2003
  7. tom123

Robbo

Tom,

It sounds to me like you havent heard the best that modern valve amplifiers can offer. Quality modern valve amps with decent power supplies and output transformers such as Border Batrol or recent Audio Research really dont have this old fashioned warm and cuddly sound. They give a fast powerful, open sound with plenty of bass control and drive, and can cope with complex music/dance/rock with no problems at all.

If you can, try to get to hear the two brands I have mentioned at a show or such like. You will be really suprised.

Tube CD players? Not sure about these, a bit of a gimmick if you ask me. A quality conventional design will trounce them IMO.

Robbo

Robbo, Dec 8, 2003
  8. tom123

penance Arrogant Cock

trust your ears Tom;)

penance, Dec 8, 2003
  9. tom123

leon

My highly modified diy valve amp has gave most solid state amps a right good pounding;) I do agree that alot of commercial valve amps sound very warm and slow, I got the biggest difference when I upgraded the output transformers in mine.
    I'm currently building an Avondale NCC200 solid state amp, god knows what this will sound like:D

leon, Dec 28, 2003
  10. tom123

leon

I'm also building a dac with 6c45 triodes as output buffers, from what I have heard upto yet its way infront of any op-amps and discrete devices I have tried

leon, Dec 28, 2003
  11. tom123

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Sounds interesting leon.

Theres quite a few on here with valved CDPs and valve DACs (myself included)... although you might be the first to make one from scratch!

good luck with it, how about some photos and a description as you go along?

NB Tom - if youre looking for feedback on valve dacs and CDPs, why not post a question in the main forum? Ive only heard about 4 valve based CDPs and DACs, but between us all, I bet most models have had a listen.

all the best for the new year.
    cheers
    Chris
    Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Dec 28, 2003
  12. tom123

leon

Hi Chris,

I'll be sure to post some pictures once its finished, its all breadboarded at the moment but already its starting to sound very good.
    My Current cdp is a highly modified Arcam Alpha 5+, these sound really bad as standard but now its a totally different player.
    I have listened to a Shanling and a Heart CD6000 and I didn't like either, it amases me how bad some of this commercial stuff sounds

leon, Dec 28, 2003
Ask a Question