CD Transformer problem?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tom., Dec 4, 2003.

1. Tom.

Tom.

I have an Arcam Delta 70.3, that has given faultless performance, but just lately the transformer has begun to make an audible hum. It's not loud enough to be audible when sitting and listening, but I do wonder if perhaps its coming loose on its mountings, and needs tightening up.

If my turntable leads run too close to the CD player, they pick up the hum quite easily.

Anyone else had this problem with a piece of hifi kit?

Tom., Dec 4, 2003
  2. Tom.

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Yes. I have bought two CD players from Richer Sounds both suffered from the problem. The first one was a cheap crappy Accustics Solutions whicht he hum was so bad I took back. My second was a Cambridge Audio CD32 which makes a hum as well but its not too bad. Its my sisters christmas present though.

amazingtrade, Dec 4, 2003
  3. Tom.

Tenson Moderator

My Arcam Alpha 9 makes a very slight hum. I only notice when it is at midnight and I got right next to it to power it off. I had a look inside, but it is encased in some strong plastic box and has no way to open it. I couldn't be bothered to lift the main circuit board out and see if there was a dry solder joint.

I tried putting some big blobs of blue-tac on it to absorb the vibration a little but it didn't do much. Not to my surprise! I noticed that the Alpha 9 has damping even on such things as caps and chips which I thought was pretty impressive ;)

Tenson, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Tom.

mr cat Member of the month

well, thats ok then...:D

mr cat, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Tom.

Tom.

Its probably encased in expoy resin, no way will you ever get in there. I'm going to open mine up today and have a sniff around.

Tom., Dec 5, 2003
  6. Tom.

Tenson Moderator

Ley us know how it goes! If you succsesful I may do the same.

Tenson, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Tom.

Lt Cdr Data om

a lot of transformers hum, even posh toriodal ones, there is not a lot you can do, its the mains causing the laminations to buzz, some get dipped in varnish, too, but it still happens, and if you are really unlucky, this hum can get into the circuit. By all means tighten side nuts, but don't overtighten a toroid,as the bolt oly holds it in, it won't affect the core buzzing. you can short the windings the top plate and goodbye tx.

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Tom.

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Toroidals are also more susceptable to hum as well; maybe the Cambridge uses one of those instead of ye olde frame style ones?

Mains quality will cause a tx to hum - my old Audiolab would hum in time to the drum on the washing machine if it was running - mad as...

domfjbrown, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Tom.

It was only a £60 CDP so I can't see it having a toridial. Having said that I bought a £50 Ariston amp from richers and that had a toridial tx. My £230 (RRP) PM6010 dosn't even have a toridial although it does have a very large frame style one.

My sisters CDP may work fine in her room as she does not have a turntable.

amazingtrade, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Tom.

Tom.

It was indeed the transformer coming loose. Actually, there are two transformers side by side, the larger one for the decoder and filters, and a smaller (not much smaller) one for the analogue components, I'm presuming the amplifier and transport. No toroidals here.

Each of the 4 screws on the transformer needed about 3/4 of a turn. I also tightened up the transport screws on the bottom of the case, they were almost finger-tight.

As for sonic improvements? Well to be honest I don't have a clue, but at least its not as noisy any more, and that vibration won't be passed onto the transport any longer.

I was quite pleased to note that after about 10 years of use, there was practically no dust whatsoever inside :)

Tom., Dec 5, 2003
  11. Tom.

Dust can be level on PCbs. My cousin blew his motherboard up simply because it got so dusty it had 1cm dust on top of the copper tracking. I assume that dust can contain metal particals and thus if there is enough cuase a short circuit.

P.S I am very druink so forgive me if I Am talking bull crap.

amazingtrade, Dec 6, 2003
  12. Tom.

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

When my Fiance uses the hairdryer every transformer hums like made on my kit. The power supply even vibrates.

I think you just need to accept that they are sesetive to dips in mains etc, do you all get humming even late at night?

garyi, Dec 6, 2003
Ask a Question