Celestion Ditton 25 help needed

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Dom, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Dom

Sergeauckland

There's a good reason for Falcon, who DO know their stuff, to recommend the Alcap over Solens or whatever.
    That's because when the crossover was designed, they took into account the electrical characteristics of bipolar electrolytics, which are different to plastic-film capacitors. Using plastic film capacitors will mean that the crossover will be different. You might prefer it, especially if buying something more expensive, but it will be different.

Furthermore, Elcaps are physically much smaller than plastic film capacitors so will fit the space on the crossover better, especially as today's elcaps are considerably smaller than the elcaps originally used even if the characteristics are the same.

If the original design used elcaps, that's what I would stick with. Just get them voltage rated at least what the originals, going up in voltage rating will do no harm, and will be beneficial as today's amplifiers tend to be more powerful.

S.

Sergeauckland, May 16, 2022
    lawrence001 likes this.
  2. Dom

Dom

Hi Daniel .. sorry no pics ....
    Since I did this Falcon Acustics have restocked thier Alcap range ... which I have recapped a pair of 66,s with .... and Im very happy with the result ....
    .. Also if the internal bracing has failed over time , its not hard to fix and deffo worth it :) good luck .. please let us know how you get on

Dom, May 21, 2022
  3. Dom

lawrence001

Just to add, the OP mentioned above about using the low loss Alcaps as they are better, I think they are a lower ESR version so replacing old standard type with new LL will likely change the voicing of the speakers. I can't remember if there were Elcap LL types, if so generally replace like with like. You might want to try a LL on the tweeter as an alternative if you don't mind changing them around to try both, you might prefer the brighter more "modern" sound they should give to a vintage speaker.

lawrence001, Jun 8, 2022
Ask a Question