Cheap CD Player for 2nd Bedroom system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pjdowns, Apr 21, 2004.

1. pjdowns

pjdowns

I used to own a 1992 Sony CDP-X339ES untill last week when after it being in for repair for over 3 months I was told that the part required to repair it was no longer available. I have unfortunately now had to throw it away.

I am now looking for a CD player which would be as good as the above for my 2nd system which I have in my bedroom.

I am looking for second hand an preferably cheap options as it will not be used a lot.

It will be connected to the following system

Audiolab 8000A
    Tannoy Mercury M2
    Grado SR-125

Any recommendations would be much appreciated !

Paul

pjdowns, Apr 21, 2004
  2. pjdowns

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am not sure what level that old CD player was but for a cheap solution you will find nothing better than the Sony CDP570 for about £80 at Richer Sounds. They don't sound brilliant but they don't sound bad either. They are certainly much better than the cheap early 1990's players like the Sony CDP M29 (I think) my parents used to have,

amazingtrade, Apr 21, 2004
  3. pjdowns

MO! MOnkey`ead!

A freind of mine was after a budget cdp and we thought the 570 would be worth a listen. RS never seemed to have them in stock!

Have a look through the classifieds both here and elsewhere.

Pioneer Stable Platter? (would be good transport if you fancied upgrading with an offboard DAC at a later date)

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3599

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3697

MO!, Apr 21, 2004
  4. pjdowns

Another good shop for the Sony is superfi.co.uk and they actually do have them in stock. Again should be less than £100.

My only doubt about the Sony is it may not work well with the Audiolab 800A as in my experience them CD players work best in budget smooth sounding amps.

amazingtrade, Apr 21, 2004
  5. pjdowns

pjdowns

Amazingtrade,

I agree that some Sony CD Players do not sound great with the Audiolab 8000A. However the CDP-X339ES was IMHO one of the better machines that they produced.

The X339ES was £450-00 from new and as it has the ES, this means that it has been tuned for British ears. I am looking for something with a simalar sound.

I have heard that a Marantz machine may be a good idea.

What are your views ?

Paul.

pjdowns, Apr 22, 2004
  6. pjdowns

If you can get something like a Marantz CD6000OSE LE for £150 which I got that would be ideal, these sold for £330 in 2001.

They do sound quite a lot better than the Sony CDP530 it will probably sound better than your old Sony due to improvements in modern designs.

I've never heared the Audiolabs but from what people describe I would imagine its quite detailed but a little bit bright, this means avoid some of the CD players known to be bright.

amazingtrade, Apr 22, 2004
  7. pjdowns

PBirkett VTEC Addict

AT dont underestimate the ES... after all, that DACmagic which you love so much is 10 years old itself ;)

PBirkett, Apr 22, 2004
  8. pjdowns

liamjf

Apologies for blowing my own trumpet, as it were :eek: , but if you fancy a Marantz you could try my 63KI (originally £500) which would be much better than the 6000ose and is available in the classifieds for £200. I used to use it with an Audiolab 8000LX amp as well so I know that combination works well. Can demo as well, so PM if interested.

Cheers, Liam.

liamjf, Apr 22, 2004
  9. pjdowns

Oii!! You insulted Mr Smith my much beloeved CD Player. He is highly offended and refuses to play my Smiths CD now. :mad:

amazingtrade, Apr 22, 2004
  10. pjdowns

pjdowns

Liam,

Thanks, but I would rather not pay that much for a CD player which will only used occasionally.

I was looking at anywhere from £80-150 preferably.

Amazingtrade,

I have heard a Marantz 52IISE and my ES blew it away in all respects, so that is where I am a little concerned that I buy something in the same league.

Thanks for all your advise.

Any more would be good !

Paul.

pjdowns, Apr 23, 2004
  11. pjdowns

The 52SE is more than 10 years old (I think), the CD6000OSE LE is from 2001 so will most likely out perform it by far. For £150 thats about the best you will get, the Sony 530's you can get don't sound anything like as good. Most the half decent budget CD players cost around £200 now anyway.

CD plauers are a dying bread so there isn't that much choice in the budget sector now.

You're only other option is to go second hand mayve try and get another one of your old Sony.

amazingtrade, Apr 23, 2004
Ask a Question