Cheap, cheap CD transport?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Ok so I am thinking of selling my current Alpha 9 cd player and buying a Behringer DEQ2496 with a cheap cd player as transport. I know the DAC in the Behringer is pretty good as I have used one before. Its not as good as the Alpha 9 but with some tweaks it could keep me happy until I scrounge enough funds to get a good DAC.

So my question is what cheapo cd player makes a good transport for about £80-£100? Looking second hand of course, I guess there are the low end Marantz ones, or.. I dunno? Was there not some Teac T1 transports going around for about £100?

Maybe I should just get real cheap crap like an old Technics with a digital out and save the money for a better one later on?

Seriously though, how much different does the transport really make? Most of these one box cd player just use a cd-rom drive anyway don?t they?

Cheers,

Tenson, Aug 23, 2004
  2. Tenson

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

You could try something like the new Sony dvd player around the £90.00 mark and use that as the transport.

davidcotton, Aug 23, 2004
  3. Tenson

PeteH Natural Blue

We had a chat about this a while back. :D

Click me if you've got a lot of time on your hands...

PeteH, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Ah all solved! I just realised my brother has a DVD player under his bed that is not being used.

So for when I have the money, what DAC is as good as or better than the Alpha 9 and what sort of money do I need to spend to equal that quality in a DAC? I have been very happy with the sound of it so one with a similar tonality would be good.

Thanks

Tenson, Aug 23, 2004
  5. Tenson

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Um why not just use the arcam until you've saved enough up for a "decent" dac if you like the arcam?

davidcotton, Aug 23, 2004
  6. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Because the DEQ2496 will just A/D and then D/A the signal anyway if not used in pure digital thru mode so little point. I might as well use the DAC in the DEQ2496, sell the Alpha 9 to provide funds and then wait until I can get a good Transport and DAC. I guess the truth is I feel like playing around!

Tenson, Aug 23, 2004
  7. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Aug 24, 2004
Ask a Question