Cheapo second hand stuff

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hi Guys,

Well she's moved in and the spare bedroom is now hers - office and art studio - fair enough, but that means the top attic room is mine - Mwaahaahaa.

Anway - its about 18 by 12 with at one end a double bed (it will have to double up as a guest bedroom unfortunately) and I want to make it into my own little retreat. Books, a desk, my PC and a nice easy chair plus some music.

I fancy something a bit retro - probably a Lenco L75 (or similar) or Pioneer PL12D for a deck - a CD of some sort and my PC plugged in as well. The question is what amp and speakers?

Has anyone had any experience of some of those big old Marantz receivers from the seventies?

Something like this? :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5702927703

or some of the late 70s/early 80s Sansui amps (I used to have a AU-317 and loved it - wish I'd never got rid of it):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5702126199

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5702754898

I'm not looking for a top hifi sound - but something pretty easy listening, that'll sound reasonable at low levels and will generally be good with old records (60s and 70s stuff for the most part).

Small speaker suggestions welcome also - 2nd hand certainly

Don't want to spend more than £150 on amp and speakers - thoughts appreciated :)

Uncle Ants, Jun 4, 2004
  2. Uncle Ants

Paul Duerden

I have an old 70s Trio receiver that you can have for the cost of the postage, if you want. It still works and doesn't sound bad at all.

If you want to stay retro you could look for Mordaunt Short Pageant or Festival speakers that some still regard very highly.

Paul Duerden, Jun 4, 2004
  3. Uncle Ants

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Back in the early 80's I had a Logic DM101/Ittok/MC10super/MF The Pre/Dr Thomas/Audiomaster MLS4 and for involvement it was regularly beaten by Sansui SR222/Sansui 317/MS Festivals.

The Festivals still come up every now and again and I'm always tempeted, especially the Pagients which are the bigger brother. Also how about Heybrook HB1's, again a fantastic speaker for the money, Rega Ela also?

LiloLee, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Uncle Ants

Dear Paul,

A very kind offer - could well be interested. What's the spec? Which model is it?

My first ever amp was an old Rotel Receiver, an RX-152 - - it had all of 12 watts a side and din plugs rather than phonos which was a bit of a pain. Sounded nice though in a warm and woolly sort of way. Looking for something with a bit more oompf than that, pereferably something big and silvery with lots of knobs n switches :D

Thanks for the heads up on the speakers.

Lilolee - I'll keep my eye out. (that old Sansui was a nice amp wasn't it - especially loved the stepped volume control - very classy)

Uncle Ants, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Uncle Ants

adam

You could also look at the little Creek 4040,I had one,sold it on ebay,was suprised at how good it was,smooth,musical,phono stage etc,nice little 20watt amp,they go for around £30.

adam, Jun 4, 2004
  6. Uncle Ants

Paul Duerden

The Trio is model KR-2600, I had to get home and have a look as it's not exactly a catchy name is it? One went on E Bay for the ruinous sum of £12 plus £12 postage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2004
    Paul Duerden, Jun 4, 2004
  7. Uncle Ants

Dear Paul,

Just found it on the completed listings part of eBay. Uhuh. Exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. Any idea what sort of output?

I'm just gonna see if I can hook that Marantz in a few days (I am in love with big blue dials and gyroscopic tuning wheels) and if I should fail, then if you are still up for it I'll take you up on the offer.

Cheers again.

Tony

Uncle Ants, Jun 4, 2004
  8. Uncle Ants

Paul Duerden

I've no idea what it's output is, I suspect not a lot.

Paul Duerden, Jun 5, 2004
  9. Uncle Ants

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I've got a Lenco GL75 and various other retro TTs, and amps - Leak, Rogers, Cambridge, (when they were good), Thorens, etc. I've also got a pair of Leak speakers from that era.

7_V, Jun 5, 2004
  10. Uncle Ants

lordsummit moderate mod

:banghead:

After you then matey, I'd been watching the Marantz, looks like a nice piece of kit, I'm trying to put something together for the father in laws christmas present and that looked the dogs wotsits. I'm sure your need is more pressing than mine
    :D

lordsummit, Jun 5, 2004
  11. Uncle Ants

You are a gentleman and a scholar sir :D

Uncle Ants, Jun 6, 2004
  12. Uncle Ants

Are the Leaks any good btw? The various Leak "sandwich" models come up ona a fairly regular basis.

Uncle Ants, Jun 6, 2004
  13. Uncle Ants

It's all a question of taste but honestly, IMO, not very.

7_V, Jun 7, 2004
  14. Uncle Ants

Oh well, Looks like we're both outa luck. He's withdrawn the sale :mad:

Uncle Ants, Jun 7, 2004
  15. Uncle Ants

Goomer

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, Uncle A - I've just finished(last night) ripping to pieces what was once a minty PL12D, for use as part of a vacuum record cleaner. I may, however, know the whereabouts of another if you're interested(PM if so).

Regarding amps, I know you've got your sights set on something with big knobs and dials to tweak, but have you thought about the A&R A60? As I'm sure you know, a top class amp and one which can be had for fairly silly money if you look hard - just a thought, anyway.

Chris.

Goomer, Jun 7, 2004
  16. Uncle Ants

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I used to have a Leak stereo 30 plus..
    Lovely little amp for its age and price (£10) - and it managed to drive my Kef 104/2s pretty well considering!
    However, it didn't like my Hafler network experiments and sort of died...

leonard smalls, Jun 7, 2004
  17. Uncle Ants

In fairness, my remarks concerning the Leak speakers are really comparing them with more modern speakers. Also, I didn't listen to them on proper suitable stands which would tidy the sound up considerably.

I also have good, cheap amplifiers such as the Leak Stereo 70 and Stereo 30 and plenty of good, inexpensive record decks.

In fact, if you can make it down to Surrey I would show you my complete treasure trove and could certainly fix you up with a good system at relatively little cost. It would be worth the trip.

My kit includes some which is in the next category, in other words not as cheap as the Leaks, etc. but still not expensive. This would include Rega Ela speakers, the original (and fabulous) Cambridge P60 and P110 amps, a beautiful Sugden A21 and more.

I would put all this stuff on eBay if I had the time but I'm happy to sell, particularly if I don't have to pack and post, etc. Of course this offer stands for any Zero Gain members who want to visit.

7_V, Jun 7, 2004
  18. Uncle Ants

I'm a big fan of the Hafler configuration. Are you still playing around with it, Leonard?

7_V, Jun 7, 2004
  19. Uncle Ants

Steve, Paul and Chris,

You all have PMs

Uncle Ants, Jun 7, 2004
  20. Uncle Ants

Oops - in a moment of ebay impetuosity I put a bid on these ... and er ... won.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5703240402

Tannoy DC 200 Dual Concentrics with 10" drivers - £80. I know nothing about em - other than Tannoy DCs are supposed to be pretty good and sensitive to boot - and for all I know I just wasted 80 quid on some real old duffers - I could of course be wrong.

Would this cast any light on the kind of amp I should be looking for for my new/old system?

Uncle Ants, Jun 9, 2004
Ask a Question