China?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by titian, Jul 1, 2004.

1. titian

titian

In a german forum there are a few threads running at the moment about chineese Hifi products.
    It seems that there are quite a lot of people in Germany which buy directly in China saving loads of money and they are very happy about the quality.
    I know there was a thread over here about these products but I would like to know for curiosity, if anyone in the UK has imported these stuff directly and / or can tell about their quality.

titian, Jul 1, 2004
  2. titian

analoguekid Planet Rush

Why titian, are you looking for a system for your dog's kennel :)

analoguekid, Jul 1, 2004
  3. titian

titian

I'm more interested in knowing about the different mentalities in different countries. ;)
    I use a Hifi system to listen to music and since I appreciate all the very fine nuances in the interpretations, I have / had to get into Hifi stuff more than actually I would like to. I use Hifi-Forums not only to get more information about hifi but mostly to get contacts with people, to know more about mentalities in different countries. Yes, analoguekid, maybe I'm the only one who does this. :rolleyes:
    But it could be a good idea about the dog kennel. I could believe that dogs would appreciate music more than certain human beings..

:D

titian, Jul 1, 2004
  4. titian

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I am very tempted by this..... despite some dire warnings about lack of dealer backup.
    On Ebay you can find the Shanling CDT 200 SACD player for less than £950 direct from China, its retail price in Uk is around £2300! Very tempting!
    plenty of interesting looking valve amps and other goodies, just have a search in ebay. All the sellers seem to have plenty of positive feedback and I contacted one of their buyers and he said he was very happy with the service he had received.

alanbeeb, Jul 1, 2004
  5. titian

merlin

What a surprise! Dire warnings from dealers again!

Titian, are not Quad 989's made in China?

merlin, Jul 1, 2004
  6. titian

titian

Merlin.
    I don't know if the Quads are made in China. I don't know what else is made in China.
    I just see that there are a lot of people in Germany who are getting 'high' by buying Shengya and other chineese stuff directly from China and are totally happy about it even if they know that they don't have any guarantee and they cannot repair the stuff in Germany. I wonder if the same thing happens in the UK and if someone can write about his experience.

titian, Jul 1, 2004
  7. titian

My Quad 988s were made in China and you could not part me from them. But there are now a whole bunch of Chinese owned brands which are attracting lots of attention in Europe and US - Shanling, Zindak, Shengya, Yaquin etc. The Shanling stuff has had generally very positive reviews.

Based on the ebay feedback for people importing these things directly it looks like they have lots of satisfied customers so far. However, people give ebay feddback after they recieve the goods, not after they have the goods 6 months or longer which is what I'd really like to know about.

I have no concerns over the quality (sound or build) of the kit that is available, I'm more worried over what happens if there is an unlucky (and unlikely) breakdown after a period of time. This can happen even to the best Japanese, US or European kit and you go back to the dealer who gets it fixed for you. But what do you do with one of these grey import items?

alanbeeb, Jul 1, 2004
  8. titian

Lt Cdr Data om

EVERYTHING :D

Serisouly, the ones which look like Icon Audios on EBay are absolutey fantastic build, stupendous. Can't remember if they are shengya...cattylink.
    best build I have seen. wacko price, too. can't go wrong.
    I recall a section on limvalves website that talked about people importing them, then asking for service. So it must be happening quite a bit.
    Certainly will be affecting the livelihoods of these people.
    Just look at the finish of the quad speakers now to see how far china has come.
    I don't think they are quite up to the mark with design, we have the expertise, they just copy really, take things apart and then imitate, (that's waht a lot do BTW, see what the competition is upto by buying one, then improving on it established industrial technique, happens everywhere) but they have bought all this manufacturing gear, all the stuff that we don't want, and now russia, china and india will soon dominate the world. Its beginning. You heard it here 1st.
    Down with the dealers eh merlin??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 1, 2004
  9. titian

Another thing that worries me is voltage differences..... there are stories, possibly put about by UK dealers, that UK 240-250V will cause damage to 'international' 230V valve based equipment.
    Could this be the case or just a scare story to protect UK dealers?

alanbeeb, Jul 1, 2004
  10. titian

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Alanbeeb,

UK voltage is 230V. This is in line with the rest of Europe. I think the voltage was 240V +/- 6%. Now it's 230V +10% -6%. The voltage in this country has always varied over time as does the frequency, which should be 50Hz. Uk voltage shouldn't damage any equipment rated at 240 volts. Transformers should be able to handle some over voltage.

Here is a link to show how the mains can vary over time.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 1, 2004
  11. titian

Lt Cdr Data om

UK was 240 volts at one time, now 230, as dean says.
    to say 250 volts would damage 230 volts equip is a big lie
    damage? hmmm, well that would make perhaps 10 volts variance on your valves if it were actually so.
    valves can take 100s of volts, the small ones typically 350 volts.
    transformers again are over rated sometimes by double, so really does a few volts make a difference?
    plain scaremongering by an industry in terminal decline, proffered by people who are trying to scare and get your custom.dirty lot this.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 1, 2004
  12. titian

Well.... I've just taken the plunge.... ordered a Shanling CDT200 SACD player from an outfit in New York who ship to anywhere in world... total cost £940. perhaps should have checked import duties but may escape them...

Retail price in UK is £2350. :D

If things go wrong I shall of course not tell anyone about it, so lets hope I don't go silent.

alanbeeb, Jul 1, 2004
  13. titian

analoguekid Planet Rush

Are the imported shanling stuff not 220v though and how would this affect longevity off TF?

analoguekid, Jul 1, 2004
  14. titian

Tenson Moderator

The Icon Audio stuff is Ming Da and I am using a Ming Da MC-7R pre-amp with great results. Its basically a Marantz 7 on steroids with valve choke audio grade caps and resistors etc..

I don't worry about it breaking down because it's still cheaper than buying equivalent quality kit in the UK if I have to buy two! plus most audio equipment is so simple these days that anyone with some electronics expertise can fix it.

Most Chinese stuff can be switched to either voltages. If it doesn't have a switch on the back it will probably have one inside.

Alan, I'm afraid to say you probably won't get away with import duties. I ordered stuff from China and they sent me a bill for it about 2 months later! I expect you will be very happy with the CD-T200 though, a friend of mine got a CD-T100 and is extremely happy with it.

Tenson, Jul 1, 2004
  15. titian

adam

I have a Chinese friend,and she is very sweet,modest and humble,a very nice genuine person,and I can say that of all the chinese people I met here in Spain,quite and keep themselves to themselves.

Not a direct chinese product,but my computer flatscreen (HP) was made in China,the product and finish are exellent,to me thoes who slag of the chinese live in fear,good quality at non rip your arm off prices.

adam, Jul 1, 2004
  16. titian

sanj follow the tao

You may get stung with import duty & then there's VAT calculated on the overall total (including delivery). If it hasn't already been sent out, try cheekily asking them to put a much lower value of goods on the box, this will reduce the duty.

sanj, Jul 1, 2004
  17. titian

Lt Cdr Data om

anyone know any ways around over paying on duties, apart from less valuation?

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 1, 2004
  18. titian

analoguekid Planet Rush

get friend to purchase it, then open the box, then send on as second hand, I think this may work, but i appreciate it may not be practical.

analoguekid, Jul 1, 2004
  19. titian

Been looking at HM customs and excise website, looks like excise on cd players is 14% -ouch!
    However, the total I will be paying for this including VAT & delivery and customs on £825 cost for the player should still only be around £1200 so almost half UK price.

alanbeeb, Jul 1, 2004
  20. titian

Tenson Moderator

I believe if the sender fills in a 'GSP certificate' or a equivalent form that states the country of origin then you get no import duty and only have VAT. I looked into this when planning to import a Norh amp.

Tenson, Jul 1, 2004
Ask a Question